2010 Stock RF amp replacement

Discussion in 'Audio, Security and Electronics' started by eep02b, Feb 5, 2011.

1. eep02b

eep02b Member

Hey, does anyone know if an amp that would be a good swap for a stock RF system?? I'm satisfied with the system, but i hate that it turns down the bass just when it gets beating really good. I want to switch out the amp, but dont want to change any speakers or head unit. Just the amp. Any suggestions??

2. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

If the '10 sound system is anything like the '04's, there is no direct swap for the OEM amp. The OEM has special connectors that can only be used with that amp. I took the factory sub and pushed it with a Fosgate Prime 250 amp, and wired it in like a standard audio setup...isolating the subwoofer from the OEM amp.

3. eep02b

eep02b Member

So basically, the only way to do it is to leave the stock amp, and isolate the sub with a new amp?? Is that the only way?? There has got to be another way than having to add another sub to the car. i'm trying to leave everything as close to stock as possible, and want something easy to pull out if needed.

4. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

You dont have to add another sub. You need to run the OEM sub off of an aftermarket amplifier that you can control the htz, db, and gain. My stock Infinity system was the same way...low-end faded out quickly. I unplugged the subwoofer connection, and ran it off of the Fosgate 250.

5. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

WTF? You got a stock amp like the evo's. Now I really feel economized in my base lancer. Basically take out the old amp and get a new one. Sounds like a winner to me. I do have to say the infinity one is decent for a normal user who doesnt crave an awesome sound system. Check ebay. Just look up some name brands and see if you can get them cheaper. If its only like $5-$20 just goto your local sound store and get something. They may want to install it for you but it should be a simple plug and play feature. Im not too familiar with amps and what not. Im lookin around for something better than what I have but its not easy trying to stay legal in VA.

6. eep02b

eep02b Member

I know this is an old thread, but has anyone tried to replace the stock amp in a RF system with an aftermarket amp?? And if so, which amp did you replace it with?? Maybe my knowledge of audio systems is a little backwards, but if there is 1 single amp that runs both the speakers and sub, there should be no way to stop the system from cutting power to the sub without replacing both the amp and or headunit. right??

7. y2ray7697

y2ray7697 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, the stock amp is wired into EVERY speaker, not just the amp. It powers everything. So, to change the amp you would actually be required to rewire EVERY speaker as well. I have no idea if you could do that with the stock head unit at all, but either way it ends up being a lot of work. Now, if you want to swap out the head unit, they now make an adapter that allows you to use the stock amp and speakers with a different head unit without rewiring, that's what I'm going to be doing.

But, I've been trying to get this work done with a new amp, ever since I had my GTS with the RF system in it. I'm sorry to say, it's gonna be pricey, but it's possible. You'll be rewiring everything and more than likely the stock sub will not be able to be used. SORRY!

8. eep02b

eep02b Member

This is crap... all i want is for my sub not to drop out after 10secs of hard bassing... is there no way around this short of adding an additional amp for the sub?? And tapping into the audio signal for the bass from the headunit wont have the same dropping out effect??

9. y2ray7697

y2ray7697 Well-Known Member

VERY doubtful....every audio expert I had taken my GTS to said the same thing. They refused to touch it because they would need to rewire everything. If you just "tap in" or "splice in" to a signal it could end up blowing up the factory amp altogether. That's a $650 part...I know cuz I went without music for a whole 8 months before I bought a new one from Mitsu.

10. bakwoods

bakwoods Guest

I know this is a few weeks old, reading the posts, and starting to get a little worried because my car being the GTS has the RF system, but it has an aftermarket headunit and everything works fine. However.......I am going to be adding a system into the car. Which means replacing all the speakers with components and replacing the RF sub with 2-3 12's instead. If I can do a write up, I'll try to be as detail specific as possible.

11. eep02b

eep02b Member

Can i ask what head unit you replaced the stock with?? And does it continue to function with the steering wheel controls and built in bluetooth??