wuh wuh what is that noise!

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by Belgaram, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Belgaram

Belgaram Well-Known Member

Yesterday I was driving home and I hear this god aweful banging noise. Called my car guy, he comes over and it turns out the front passenger side caliper had a loose bolt (probably from when the painter did the calipers) So he tightened it and the sound went away.. Bingo, problem solved. We ran it on a long test run, he tested the tranny, etc no issues, but he did notice that the car is pulling to the right now. Suggested I check tire pressure and get a front end alignment.

Driving home today I hear a wuh wuh wuh.... 1st thought F$%K tranny.. (new tranny cooler...) But it seems to be coming from the driver side rear. So now I am starting to think it may be that a combination of the caliper being loose and hitting a pot hole a little while back probably threw it out of alignment in the front passenger side which my guess would cause the rear driver side to make that wuh wuh noise.

Or hopefully not, a bad bearing?

Anyone else have this issue before?

2. 1slowlance

1slowlance Well-Known Member

A wuh wuh wuh wuh? Does your wheel shake or anything?

3. Belgaram

Nope. And car shifts fine and no codes.... just an annoying wuhwuhwuhwuh

4. 1slowlance

Visual inspection of it? I'd take a look at all the tires and brakes and what not and see if you can see anything that looks misplaced or out of place or anything really. Sounds kinda like something to do with the tire.

5. The Beav

The Beav Well-Known Member

new tires? when was the last time you rotated? i know for me after i got wider tires i could hear my tires much more then before im use to it now. is your alignment ok?

6. Belgaram

Im leaning toward the alignment. I think I am taking it in Saturday for an alignment and tire rotation and see how that goes.

7. The Beav

k thats good dont do to much driving as im sure you know if that is what it is your eating up tread

8. Belgaram

Appointment set for Saturday morning... Hopefully that fixes it, or at least gives me an idea of wuht's going on :)

9. bakwoods

bakwoods Guest

Not personally but sounds like either the dust shield might be scraping or something else. Bad bearings actually sqeal like nails on a chalkboard, so unless that's what you hear, then no that's not it. Also you mentioned "wuh wuh wuh what am I doing wrong"? It's something that's intermittently hitting something, so jack up the car and take off the wheel and spin the rotor a full rotation. Hopefully that'll narrow it down.

10. Belgaram

Got my tires rotated and balanced. They checked and the noise is (was) definitely from tire wear. Camber is off by 2 degrees since dropping it. Toe was off to but they could fix that.

11. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

Lucky you! Glad you got that fixed. Otherwise you would have 1 bald tire in a year. Like me! LOL I just got my alignment done. Turns like a champ.....still need another one though.

12. 1slowlance

Sick, at least you found out what the problem was, and not too hard of a fix.

13. The Beav

That's great! I'm glad you were able to figure it out!

Sent from my Droid

14. Belgaram

Yeah but now that it has moved to the front it keeps makin me think I have a flat... Fucks me all up drivin down the road... And you can feel it when you are goin real slow. But that just means I have to do a few burn outs to wear the tire more! haha.

15. rahimP

rahimP Guest

Tein S tech Springs

Hello,
    Easy suspension tuning is in your hands. S - Tech was made so that everyone can enjoy sports driving. TEIN based these springs on original specification so that the installation is easy. Full compliance with car inspection, and great styling. Adding some more exicitement to your ride.. The highest quality brought to you at great JayDM prices. Now comes in two types to choose from.