Wire feed-through question

Discussion in 'Audio, Security and Electronics' started by Texas Aggie, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Texas Aggie

Texas Aggie Well-Known Member

I've got the door panel off and the speaker off. I also removed the bottom door panels but I haven't the slightest clue on how I'm going to feed the wire through the rubber.

What did you guys do?

2. SeRious08

SeRious08 Well-Known Member

Use a wire puller or a coat hanger.

3. Texas Aggie

^ should i bent the coat hanger cause of the angle the rubber is?

4. SeRious08

Yeah, you need to feed the coat hanger through. If it requires you to bend it, then go for it. As long as you can get it through. What gauge wire are you trying to run to the doors?

5. Texas Aggie

i'm running 18G through. I pulled the rubber out and ran the coat hanger through. it worked, pain in the ass though. never did a sedan install. only had a civic coupe before this car. thank you for the advice. helped out tremendously!

6. SeRious08

No problem. Thats why prof. installers make good money. They do all the pain in the ass stuff that regular people don't. You just saved about $100 by running your own wire.

Good luck to you and your project.

7. Texas Aggie

yeah thanks. one more question, where can I find out what color wire is pos and neg?

Also, the shop that did my amp install didn't hook my components to my amp. they ran it straight to the FACTORY deck. If i'm not mistaken, that means I'm not getting shit from the amp

8. SeRious08

You should be able to google it. If not, I can get them tonight when I get back to the house.

9. Texas Aggie

ok cool. if I find them I'll PM you to let u know. I didn't get a spacer. I was thinking of breakin the factory speaker i have now and fit my speaker into the factory spacer. or does it matter of the speaker fits without gaps? it's just the rear speakers.

i'll have to run the components to my amp when I'm done.

10. Texas Aggie

ok cool. if I find them I'll PM you to let u know. I didn't get a spacer. I was thinking of breakin the factory speaker i have now and fit my speaker into the factory spacer. or does it matter of the speaker fits without gaps? it's just the rear speakers.

i'll have to run the components to my amp when I'm done.

11. Texas Aggie

if i run speaker wire from the speaker to the amp will i have signal noise or someting? or is that just with civics?

12. prcdslnc13

prcdslnc13 Well-Known Member

the wires that run to your speaker are green and yellow, yellow your neg and green is your positive. If you can get the wires through your rubber boots though you a better man then I. I spent like three frickin hours trying to get the wire through. Ill save the dirty comparisons for your own mind lol. What we always did was cut 4 pieces of wire the same length of the rcas. (i assuming your running a 4 channel) run these wires up from your amp along your RCAs. Dont worry this wont create any signal noise as long as you ran your RCAs away from power wires. Hook up your wiring harness to your deck like normal but dont connect the speaker wires. tape back the speaker wires coming from the deck and pretend they dont exist. that will leave you with the wires on the wire harness end. connect these wires to the wires you ran from your amp. Guess what you just saved yourself about nine hours of work. the wires you hooked up to on your wiring harness run directly to your speakers in your doors. And thank to modern wiring standards the wire that was ran stock isnt all that bad. For 90% of the users on this site, this technique should be more then fine. If you have any questions let me know.

13. Texas Aggie

ok so i spent about 6 hours wiring and rear speakers and re-wiring the front cause the install guys didn't connect the speakers to the amp. what i did was connect the speaker directly to the amp and used the rca's for the signal to the deck. i have that signal noise but only when i turn my radio off. it's weird. what do i need to do the fix that?

14. prcdslnc13

prcdslnc13 Well-Known Member

you have signal noise in your speakers when your radio is off? is your amp turning off? That would be the first place I would start. Are you using an after market deck or the stock one with a high-low converter?

15. Texas Aggie

factory deck and no the amp doesn't cut off and yes one rca convertor