Window Tint Question

Discussion in '8G Lancer - General Information' started by C-lo, Nov 23, 2009.

1. C-lo

C-lo Well-Known Member

i want to tint my windows and i was wondering whats the darkest a car can have, legally? (i know that it must change throughout areas, but i'd just like to know whats the highest in your area) (im also interested in metallic tint)
    i posted a picture so you can post your opinion of what % tint you think would look good on my car, if you want to :p. thanx :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 1slowlance

1slowlance Well-Known Member

Go to this website. tintlaws.com/laws It gives you every state's laws on tint percentage.

3. Blackedoutgts

Blackedoutgts Member

In alabama I think its like 35 but I have 5 on mine and I haven't had any problems from the cops

4. C-lo

C-lo Well-Known Member

thanks to both, much apreciated

5. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

I haven't had any problems with mine here in AL. I have 15 all around...but then again, most Alabama cops are lazy like me. Whatever you choose, just remember that the darker you go...the less you see at night. I actually have to look out my driver window when I back up sometimes, just to see...

6. 1slowlance

I have thought about getting tint before, but I don't really know if I want to. My A/C doesn't really work too well, so during the summer I always have my windows down. But, during the winter, I hate cold weather, so I always have my windows up. If I do get tint I was thinking just legal tint all around. 12% on back windshield, 25% on back 2 windows, and 40% on front 2 windows. And a strip across the front windshield. Don't want any problems with police.

7. C-lo

C-lo Well-Known Member

true, i totally forgot about that...because i want to tint my windows enough so people can't quite see inside, but at the same time i can see from the inside...any suggestions on %?
    and i like you're idea too H_U_N_K...mind if i steal the idea? :p

8. 1slowlance

Lol. Not really. What state are you in? Because depending on the state, you could possibly have laws saying you can have a darker tint than 40 on the front 2 windows, and others. And, the way I think about it is, if I'm gonna get tint, I'm going to get the legal limit. I'd like to have 5%, but I'm not going to do that and risk getting pulled over, ya know? I'd rather just be legal, and have no problems. Just look on that website I posted and it gives you a list of every state and what percentage you can have on each window, and what type: net or film. Some states are very unrestrictive. I see some that let any percent on the back 2 windows and rear windshield, and 33% on front 2 windows. That leaves a lot of open possibilities. Lol.

9. C-lo

C-lo Well-Known Member

lol that is true, and im in virginia, and yea i get what you're saying, i'm not trying to get pulled over, specially because police around here are so bored that they give tickets because they consider squirrels and leaves pedestrians...(im being sarcastic if you didn't notice hehe) and whats the difference between net and film?

10. 1slowlance

I'm really not too sure. Lol. I think it has to do something with how much tint is actually in the window tint, but I'm not positive.

11. The Beav

The Beav Well-Known Member

hey bud im in va! northern up near dc the cops here are kinda a holes! the law is 50 on the front and 35 back door and back window... i got 20% all around... no problem yet... the cops i have talked to say that most of them wont pull over a car with dark tint unless they r breaking the law in some other way. ie... speeding etc...they also said that if someone lowered all their windows before the cop got out of their car they wouldn't worry about it because their main concern is that someone could have a gun drawn in the back seat and they couldn't see them... so all in all if u don't bring attention to your self and if u do get pulled over roll all your windows down.

12. C-lo

C-lo Well-Known Member

Beav, thanx dude, hadnt thought about it that way either, thanx to everyone :D and im in northern VA too lol

13. The Beav

The Beav Well-Known Member

no crap? what part? im in woodbridge!

14. y2ray7697

y2ray7697 Well-Known Member

I just went ahead and did 20% all the way around...my cousin's a cop so I ain't worried at all..had it on over a year now and not pulled over once...then again I live in farmland PA haha

15. CRAZY-LEGS-20

CRAZY-LEGS-20 Well-Known Member

That's good to hear...I have 5% all aroun and they look but here in CA, its 70% in the front and any % in the back...the back I'm cool with but that 70% in the front is....

16. y2ray7697

y2ray7697 Well-Known Member

Yeah anything less than 20%...eaning 35%,70%, whatever...doesn't even look liek there's anything done! It's not even worth it haha!

17. CRAZY-LEGS-20

CRAZY-LEGS-20 Well-Known Member

Yeah I know...I love my tints though...at night I could still see...not to clear but I could still see...I've been stoped by cops for that...but I have had complaments for...they would tell they look nice but make sure we could see you lol

18. Bladed

Bladed Member

I plan on getting 20% all around, the limit in MD is 35%. Could a VA cop pull me over for violating VA tint laws even thought I live in Maryland?

19. C-lo

C-lo Well-Known Member

it would depend where in VA you are, and if you're speeding i'm pretty sure they won't be as lenient. chances are, if you do get stopped you'll just get a warning