Will i lose too much back pressure?

Discussion in '8G Lancer - General Information' started by JayGTS88, Dec 14, 2007.

1. JayGTS88

JayGTS88 Well-Known Member

Hello all i got a question i am going to go N/A for my car and i just want to know will I lose too much back pressure if i get these mods for my car.

1.CAI(Injen or others)
    2.Cat Back60mm(Injen or others)***
    3.Pully(RRM!)
    4.header(RRM or other)
    5.piggy(RRM or Works)

The one with the star(***) is the one i am concern with the most i though our engine make too less Hpower for a catback, we might even lose Hpower instead of gaining. Is there any truth to this?

2. RALLIART

RALLIART Well-Known Member

i dont think you will, these have been designed for NA cars, especially if for the catback you go 2.25" on piping. 3" is for turbo.

3. JayGTS88

JayGTS88 Well-Known Member

lol this might be dumb but... is 60mm 2.25... :lol:

4. RALLIART

RALLIART Well-Known Member

well technicallu its 2.36" but whos counting...

5. Payload

Payload Well-Known Member

you dont want backpressure.. backpressure and exhaust velocity are 2 different things. If you can manage 0 backpressure and still maintain exhaust velocity then you win.

heres a PDF explaining it

http://dmtrx.ca/mx6/Project/Backpressure_the_Myth.pdf

hope that clears some things up cause people need to stop using backpressure and exhaust velocity as the same word. They are 2 different things.

6. crypto

crypto Well-Known Member

the only one of those mods that will effect backpressure will be the exhaust stuff

And yes, you will loose some. With any exhaust mod, backpressure is lost, which will cause you to loose a little bit of power in the low end. However, because of the bigger exhaust, you will gain a significant amount of mid - high end power, which is the whole point of getting a catback & header

the 2.5 piping will work well for both N/A and turbo applications, so if you guys plan on getting a turbo eventually, but want some extra power until then, the Injen exhaust will be an excellent buy and will be one less thing to upgrade if you go turbo.