Which nav system to get

Discussion in 'Audio, Security and Electronics' started by Sooch, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Sooch

Sooch New Member

With the cheap dash kits coming out soon it's time for me to start looking at a nice 2 DIN dvd/nav system. Thing is, I'm not sure what to get. Right now I'm considering the pioneer, eclipse, and kenwood ones. Especially the pioneer Avic-z2 and the eclipse avn 6610.

As for what I'm looking for, the main thing I want is to be able to watch dvds while I drive. What would really be great is to be able to have the navigation running in the background while watching a dvd. But I'm not sure if that's possible.

What's important to me: Works with sirius, Works with bluetooth, Works with steering wheel controls. I really want a good navigation system with tons of points of interests since I'll be moving across the country in June and have no clue where things are. A hard drive isn't a must, so long as i can just have the nav disc in and leave it in and still have a dvd slot free. Though I assume the HD based ones will have lots more POIs. Also I want a large screen.

What's not important to me: I'm not picky about sound quality, I doubt I'd be able to appreciate any differences there. I have the gts package with a sub already, so I'm not planning on ever changing my speakers.

Any thoughts on what's best? Any systems about to roll out that I should consider holding off for? let me know.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Asking whats best is going to be more personal prefrence.

Pioneer AVIC-Z2 is an awesome unit. You will need to rewire 1 of the plugs and use the update disc to over ride DVD viewing while driving. Disc is not cheap and thats if you can get a hold of one. Usually shops wont sell them. MSRP: $300 just for the disc.
    Also you wont find a unit that will work with ur factory bluetooth. U might need to check with P.A.C and u will need an adapter to use ur steering wheel controls. As far sirius maybe.

3. Pocket

Pocket Well-Known Member

Kenwood 8019 is SWEEET!!!

blue tooth hands free
    rear camera
    Garmin Nav
    Ipod video interface
    USB
    Satellite capability..
    CD/DVD

options are about endless..I have the 819 which is the flip out version, I wanted this one over the double din just because it could be monuted higher which in turn would allow the screen to sit higher in the car making it easier to view while driving

4. Homie

Homie Well-Known Member

You can get the software for the avc-z2's on ebay for 50 bucks.