What grade gas is recommended?

Discussion in '8G Lancer - General Information' started by mhmayhem88, Apr 20, 2011.

1. mhmayhem88

mhmayhem88 Well-Known Member

I thought I remembered reading in the manual that 87 octane was the recommended gasoline for the 09 Lancer GTS. Can anyone confirm this? I've been putting 87 octane in but with the recent hike in gas prices I'm wondering if I can get away with 85.

2. BlueDevilLancer

BlueDevilLancer Well-Known Member

you have 85? i put in 89 and it runs so much smoother than 87. soooo i'd keep it at 87 if possible. how much is gas there?

3. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

I wouldn't run anything less than the OEM octane. The ECU's are mapped for a specific octane range, and putting anything more or less than what it is mapped for could cause some serious problems down the road. A factory tune ECU can only compensate so much for the variables that are introduced (timing, intake air volume, octane, etc.).

4. Sinestra

Sinestra Well-Known Member

exactly what Lancer2quick stated. Honestly, your just wasting your money on higher grade fuel it wont make a difference. You only need to switch if you get a tune.

5. sk13322

sk13322 Well-Known Member

87 stock nothing more or less.

6. 1slowlance

1slowlance Well-Known Member

Mine calls for unleaded regular, so I use the cheap stuff. Lol.

7. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

I use 89 all the time.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

8. 1slowlance

^ Mr. Money Bags. Lol.

9. Jogenmaru

Its 5 cents more for something like that for stuff that supposedly makes my engine last longer.

10. 1slowlance

89 here is usually about 10 cents more than 87.

11. timschoeliertm

timschoeliertm Well-Known Member

i use regular cause it gives me the best gas milage, and it also has a sticker inside my of my gas door saying use regular only, regular being 85

12. aznboiultra

aznboiultra Well-Known Member

i got a question for you guys, I been using 85 octane for the past 3 years cause the dealer and the paper stick on the car window before the purcahse say 85, this topic just cause me to double check my manual and it says 87 or 90. So which is right, the dealers and that paper or the manufacturer book manual(located in general informaion 1-2)?

13. Jogenmaru

It really depends. The manufacturer send the car to the dealer. Depending on where you live they can change the tune for what it right for the area. I would still used 87 over 85. But there is no difference in gas mileage just difference on how long the engine last.

14. aznboiultra

aznboiultra Well-Known Member

What about 110 octane? What will happen if I try it?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  15. Jogenmaru

All I have to say is wtf is 110 octane. Your car will most likely say wtf this shit ain't right and run like shit. That's toooo rich a type of gas for us to run. That is for high price cars like lambos.

16. 1slowlance

Or jets.

17. timschoeliertm

timschoeliertm Well-Known Member

its just race fuel, itll run fine honestly, itll just burn really high and really fast

18. slickdevil08

slickdevil08 Well-Known Member

you guys are lucky gas prices have been killing me i have to use 93 and it kills my wallet :(

19. Jogenmaru

I pay on the norm 40 to fill up now. Us older lancers have a 13 gallon tank but only fill up 12 gallons.

20. Fuz1On

Fuz1On Well-Known Member

LOL, I use 87 fuel (standard for 09 GTS, plus I havn't installed the TCB yet, timing control box) and have a 13 gallon tank. Here in Texas I pay 51 dollars to fill up my tank!!! 51 f'in dollars yo!!! I used to put 20 bucks and it would fill my tank, now 1/2 a benjamin, DAMN!

Last edited: May 16, 2011