Weight reduction on a new lancer??

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by mpirklbauer, Oct 2, 2008.

1. mpirklbauer

mpirklbauer Well-Known Member

Hi

I think that my car is to heavy, so i want to reduce the weight, but i don´t realy know where to start with.

What do you think are the heaviest parts that could be removed easy?

2. BlueBallLancer

BlueBallLancer Well-Known Member

lightweight battery
    remove donut tire from rear
    lighter wheels - possibly smaller wheels ~17" with low profiles
    ----
    Clean the floor of your car!

3. azn_ghetto

azn_ghetto Well-Known Member

take out rear seats

and if ur really hardcore remove all the panels and such

ull definitly notice a difference

4. papi2dmamis

papi2dmamis Well-Known Member

Start with the exhaust, it's about 40 lbs of crap. My Lancer weights 2960 lbs after I remove it.

5. EngRWW33

EngRWW33 Well-Known Member

Just remember, if you lose 100 lbs from the back of the car you're going to want to lose 100 lbs in the front to keep the weight balance. Just a thought...

6. azn_ghetto

azn_ghetto Well-Known Member

that can b done cheaply by not eating.... if u get wht i mean rofl

7. EngRWW33

EngRWW33 Well-Known Member

diet time... :lol: I could afford to lose a few

8. brian95638

brian95638 Well-Known Member

remove airbags, always fill gas half tank only,custom styrofoam seats

9. DragnRidr85

DragnRidr85 Well-Known Member

styrofoam seats?? they make those? lol

10. Dr1fter

Dr1fter Well-Known Member

Get an OEM Evo Hood...the difference in weight between the 2 hoods will floor you lol

11. razo

razo Member

here are some options if your Lancer is for everyday use:

Exterior:
    Carbon Fiber or Aluminum Hood
    Carbon Fiber Trunk
    Carbon Fiber or Fiberglass Front Fenders
    Small Carbon Fiber Side Mirrors
    ‘Lite’ Weight Track Wheels (16 or 17â€Â)
    Aftermarket Muffler (WORKS)

Interior:
    ‘Lite’ Weight Front Seats (Carbon Fiber)
    Remove Rear Seats
    Remove Spare Tire from Trunk
    ‘Lite’ Weight Battery in Engine Bay OR Relocate the Stock Battery to the Trunk

…if you’re looking to track the car then you can do all of that stuff plus remove all of your trunk and interior panels…remove your radio / sound system…remove all airbags and get a smaller steering wheel…and so on…

good luck

12. BlueBallLancer

BlueBallLancer Well-Known Member

Whats the weight diff between oem evo hood vs ours...and rrm hood vs ours?

13. Deepside

Deepside Member

well.. if you're gonna put all this money into carbon fiber and wheels things and removal stuffl, I mean.. you have a lot of money, for the small gain it's gonna provide.
    In that case trade yours for a lancer DE, it's already lightier, and will give you money instead of loosing thousands. ;)

14. papi2dmamis

papi2dmamis Well-Known Member

...and take a dump before driving....just an idea...

15. pimpinfern

pimpinfern Well-Known Member

hasnt this been posted before, there is no point in weight reduction unless ure gun make it a track car and not a DD

16. mpirklbauer

mpirklbauer Well-Known Member

i won´t build a track car, because if i need one i will buy an Mazda 323 BG Turbo with around 280 HP and only 1000 Kg.

I just want my car to accelerate quicker and i think, if i only tun my engine it won´t be enough.

With engine tuning i´m not real happy, because i will lose my warranty and so i want to get my car lighter.

17. eKtor

eKtor Well-Known Member

Its doesnt make sense and it is not worth it.

If your car is a daily driver (like I know it is), the stuff that you would need to do to actuall make a relevant enough weight reduction will make your car uncomfortable, impractical, unsafe and thousands of $$$...

If you are not building a track car, and you are looking for faster response from the car, invest in small things like an SRI and a muffler. Those are stuff that you can swap back if you have to take it to the dealership.

BTW.. removing the muffler, removing the back seats, panels and all that miner stuff wont help at all... I took out the muffler of my car, and even though it feels like it weighs a ton, it weighed 21 pounds. the whole backseat (bottom and backrest) is about 13 pounds... and the COMPLETE trunk lining and panels weigh about 9 pounds all together... the spare is like 20 pounts, and honestly you dont wanna get rid of a spare on a DD car.
    So for ~ 40lb less, instead of making your car look retarded and making it impractical, you can maybe loose that weight? and still you will not notice a difference AT ALL unless you subtract 500lb+ from your car.

If you have the bank, CF hood and truck and lighter wheels will do the best for ya.

And still i think that those mods, for your goal, would be a waste of money.

kthnxbai

18. blackeyed

blackeyed Well-Known Member

Sell it and buy Opel Tigra :D or better option Ford Ka.... :D
    And if seriously, I dont believe the new lancer will be quicker with all the things out... you have to change engine and make it turbo to make it faster... its not meant to be fast.. in my opinion it is made to be good in cornering as well as make people look at you :)

19. Redline1

Redline1 Well-Known Member

yea i have torn out the whole interior for fun and drove around did not really feel a difference in speed, did see a slight bump in MPG's. but yea

20. eg6motion

eg6motion Well-Known Member

you bought the wrong car then. Your only going to make a slow car slightly less-slow but then it will also be uncomfortable, noisy, and still SLOW