TURBO!!

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by sosicklancer 17, Oct 22, 2011.

1. sosicklancer 17

sosicklancer 17 Active Member

ok so ik that there are kits for us out there rrm has one but we all know the rep rrm has... does anyone know of a cheaper and more reliable kit??? or can we just take the piping from the evo x kits and then just put in a real low psi turbo kit? i just want like 7lbs or like 50 extra hp!! is it really to much to ask for!!!!!

2. blueking_4

blueking_4 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I do not know, but I certainly would like to know if we could do that.

3. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

Most of it bolts up depending on what model your engine is. but unfortunately it is just not a bolt on affair. 50hp is cost worthy and if you just toss it up there without some kind of "good" tune then boom...no more engine.

4. sosicklancer 17

well rrm sells there kits with like 7 lbs boost. and they claim to not needing a "tune" just a ecu reflash maybe

5. 1slowlance

1slowlance Well-Known Member

I'd always recommend a tune after going turbo.

6. Jogenmaru

Ecu reflash is a tune. And they don't reflash/tune the ecu. They have a device that attaches to the ecu wires and adjust the signal output to the cars engine. Ie a piggyback unit.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

7. bakwoods

bakwoods Guest

Exactly. AEM FIC, SAFC-II, or go standalone with a Megasquirt (my personal favorite route.)

Personally, I recommend just building your own kit, not to know RRM, but I've seen home made turbo kits for about $2,000 and sometimes under that work pretty well. Granted you have to know what your doing. I've seen newbies try to build their own kits and blow the motor in the process due to lack of research. The RRM kit is expensive, but then again they DID do all the research to make sure this kit WORKS with the car. Some people like to go bigger which is why I recommend building your own IF your comfortable.

8. slickdevil08

slickdevil08 Well-Known Member

one thing i would say im not really sure about the lancers but are there any superchargers on the market for the lancer?

9. sosicklancer 17

Nope, the only thing out there is turbo kits.. probly wont see a supercharger out for us for two three years if at all.

10. aznboiultra

aznboiultra Well-Known Member

Isnt supercharger usually for v6 or something bigger then the 2.0L and 2.4L engine? I remember someone on 1 of the lancer forum put a supercharger in his 08+ lancer. He got a shop to do it for him, but I am not sure if he still own the car. How many lb or psi can the standard mivec 2.0L and 2.4L take? Also I remember someone posted up a site which sells a universal twin turbo for half the price of rrm(incase you want to go extreme lol).

11. Jogenmaru

Supercharger is usually for what you said but can be used in smaller engines. And boost for the mivec engine I believe is 8 lbs. Cvt tranny is 4 lbs.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

12. jdmSTIG

jdmSTIG Guest

110% agree. It's a MUST!

13. slickdevil08

yeah just didnt know cuz my car has a 2.0l and im going to be going supercharged @ 10lbs roughly and im gunna be making 320hp and 210tq but the thing about superchargers are they are better for DD's rather then turbos so thats why i made that decision

14. bakwoods

bakwoods Guest

Yup, RRM is claiming their kit can only tolerate 3-4psi on the CVT tranny. However I think that with enough R&D it can be done to handle more. You just need someone who can actually build it up to handle that.

R&D is also required for a S/C set up. As nice as it is, you are still putting boost on the motor, and the 4B11 is not meant to handle a lot of boost. I think 7-8 psi is sufficient on the stock block. After that I'd start looking into more powerful components.

Superchargers ARE used in smaller applications. My buddy Ryan in Long Island has one of the only supercharged 05 Kia Spectras (there's another buddy of mine upstate). Granted it was the only kit made by Alpine before they went out of business, however it is possible. He's pushing 12 psi and the other guy is pushing 14 psi. So to be honest, anything is possible, you just need someone who's crazy enough to dump that money in. Hmmm now you got me thinking heheheheeh

15. slickdevil08

yeah i haz a k20 so im good to go with superchargers and for turbo my engine can handle 14lbs - 17lbs depending on what you have

16. sosicklancer 17

17. Jogenmaru

he drives a honduh shivic special I-detion

18. sosicklancer 17

aww i was like hot diggity problem solved!!!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  19. bakwoods

bakwoods Guest

Ha! Good luck. I don't predict any problem with installing a S/C on this car. The most expensive part is the manifold which needs to be custom billeted, but otherwise it's a doable project. Also need to figure out how to drive the belt system. Decisions, decisions. 10psi is starting to sound nice, but also...are you willing to dish the green.

20. sosicklancer 17

so if i was to be able to billit an evo manifold. what kinda s/c would you have to go with?? cause i dont think it is do-able. plus u would still need a tune afterwards.