Turbo vs Super HELP

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by Gmoney087, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Gmoney087

Gmoney087 Member

Hey everyone im new to the site and I had a huge question. I have a 2009 lancer es-sport. I wanted to get some more power out of the engine for a "funner" drive. I have been looking all over the internet for a definite pick on which is better (supercharger or turbocharger) but... I really have no clue. I want to add something to the car, price is not so much a issue but it has to be resonable. I was really looking for some help. Thanks a bunch!

2. 1slowlance

1slowlance Well-Known Member

Well, it depends on what exactly you want. Do you want boost all the time? Or do you want more boost at a certain rpm?

3. mhmayhem88

mhmayhem88 Well-Known Member

Do they make supers for the Lancer? I guess I've only ever seen the turbo kits from RRM...

4. BlueDevilLancer

BlueDevilLancer Well-Known Member

for a 4 banger such as ours, a turbo would be more efficent because a super takes away power to get power. i dont think anyone actually makes a super for our car either.

5. Gmoney087

Gmoney087 Member

I was hoping for boost all the time, but with turbos thats not the case? Do you know how much a medium to high end turbocharger cost that fits the lancer es, and do you think I will notice the power boost? One more question, if I add it will it damage the motor over time, in other words will it handle the extra power. Thanks for the feedback

6. BlueDevilLancer

you'll get boost most of the time but it'll probably kick in around the mid to high end RPMs. RRM has a kit for about $4300 which includes everything you need. they say you'll get 50% more power (around 195 - 225). a serious modification like this will add extra strain to the motor in which yes over time it can cause problems. if you really want the power trade in for a ralliart. our cars arent really meant to handle the extra power.

7. Gmoney087

Gmoney087 Member

8. grizbone

grizbone Well-Known Member

I, in the friendliest way possible, suggest reading a lot more before going anywhere near forced induction. Start small. And use google and howstuffworks.com

9. Gmoney087

Gmoney087 Member

Thanks man i appreciate it, i will, do you think angel eyes is a good place to start?

10. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

haha...thats a good place to start.

11. 1slowlance

They add about 50 horsepower each. You'll feel the difference. :D Do you have any other mods done to your car? Exhaust? Intake? If not, this will also play into the turbo/super-ness. Like grizbone said, just read up on stuff, and work your way up.

12. Gmoney087

Gmoney087 Member

Ok great i will work my way under the hood slowly. Thanks everybody

13. 1slowlance

Good idea. A great place to start would be an intake, because it's relatively easy and you could do it yourself. Then start on the exhaust.

14. BlueDevilLancer

intake, exhaust, headers, it also can vary if you have a CVT tranny or a 5 spd

15. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

Obviously you know nothing about forced induction...you went from boost to angel eyes. I agree, do your homework on the subject and decide from there. In the meantime, you can do this and guaran-damn-teed to help your car be "funner"

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_pa ... ucts_id=28

16. grizbone

I don't really see the need to be as harsh as this....He stated on his own he really didn't know, thats why he asked advice......

17. bras_33

and I gave him some advice...

18. grizbone

Actually you were just a dick...

19. bras_33

and thats fine, who says you have to be nice...and nice color choice.

and obviously you forgot about this part:

20. grizbone

Just like you obviously forgot the part where you were an ass? Great Moderator you are :) The kid comes looking for help and that's how a mod helps him out, you're you're obvious knowledge of this vehicle or the topic or supercharging/turbocharging really shined!

And no I didn't forget the part where you "agreed". Awesome advice chief.