To Cat or Not to Cat?

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by BlackWidowGTS, Apr 2, 2013.

1. BlackWidowGTS

BlackWidowGTS Member

So Brochachos, I'm one of the lucky few who live in such a crappy town that they don't do Emissions when doing inspections. So my mind ran, and I am asking y'all if going straight pipe instead of using the stock cat, would be more or less raspy. I don't want ricer rasp, I want deep rumble. Only pertaining to the cat, not the whole system, would it be more or less rasp?

2. 1slowlance

1slowlance Well-Known Member

From my experience, it usually gives it a 'raspier' sound. It is definitely louder, but it's mostly the muffler that gives you specific sounds.

3. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

Just as Lance said..removing the cat will drastically increase the rasp. I would try a 200-300 cell cat...commonly referred to as the "high-flow cat". The OEM cat is a 520 cell if I remember correctly. A lower cell count will flow a bit better, but still drown some rasp. If its a deep, throaty sound youre looking for...add a resonator. It will still flow well, but allow the air to slow down a bit before hitting the muffler....just my two cents. I recently had my exhaust redone, and I still haven't made a clip yet...I will try to get on that so you can get some sort of reference...

4. BlackWidowGTS

BlackWidowGTS Member

That would help a ton. So far, it sounds like I'm going to stick with the stock cat, go 3" piping with a RA resonator, all the way back go an RA muffler.

5. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

http://youtu.be/DofO5OSqEeY

This may help. For some reason, the sound kept messing witht he focus and makes the low tones sound buzzy and raspy. In person, its low with very little rasp...

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013