The $6.00 Front Blackout, That is also REVERSIBLE!

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Customization' started by matchstick, Apr 26, 2009.

1. matchstick

matchstick Active Member

I am actually shocked NO ONE in the lancer community even thought of this, as this has appeared in my research on other forums for the Mini, Audi, BMW, and Volkswagon vehicles.

And you're all wondering Blacking out my front bumper and my grille for 6 bucks! and its reversible? You say impossible or yeah with electrical tape...

Well NO... let me introduce to you my little friend...

PLASTI-DIP SPRAY
    [​IMG]

This stuff rocks and its only about $6.00 a can at Home Depot. Now a few things I have come up in my research...

It drys flat black matte. Much like most plastic or vinyl.
    It is weather and heat resistant up to 200°F.
    Do NOT need to sand and primer, just clean the surface.
    The more coats you apply the tougher it becomes, and it's tougher than vinyl.
    It is completely reversible, with a little effort you can peel it off, does not damage paint underneath.
    And it will attach to chrome.

Also It's available in several colors.

So in my research I have found that people have been indeed blacking out their chrome grills with plasti-dip and having great success with it and lasting years. They have also done chrome trim, interior trim, and rims!

Oh, and you can also use it has a sound deadener.

NOTE: when doing a masked item I recommend that you lay down one layer of masking, then another on top of it, spray like normal, wait 10 minutes remove the top masking layer, then put down another mask on the original, and repeat. I recommend at least 4 coats.

The Reason being is that once it cures, pulling the mask may pull up what you have spayed and it does become difficult to trim. 10 minutes is the setup time and at that time the mask will come up and not take what you want to remain.

NOTE 2: When it is curing it will have an odd look to it, and you may feel you messed up in some way, this is normal. Give it at least 24 hours after the last coat to determine if it's ok or not.

Once I have finished doing mine I will post pics, But here are some examples I found:

Trim around grille and the lights
    [​IMG]
    The grille
    [​IMG]
    The entire rim
    [​IMG]
    VW Emblem
    [​IMG]
    The center console
    [​IMG]
    Side Marker
    [​IMG]
    Headlight Trim, and the Projector was done in red
    [​IMG]

2 Coats
    [​IMG]
    4 Coats, Comparing stock plastic honeycomb and mitsu logo to plastidip
    [​IMG]

2. mujahidMD

mujahidMD Well-Known Member

I might try that thanks

3. aussie027

aussie027 Member

Hi Matchstick,
    That is a great find. We can buy it here in Australia but it costs 3-4X the US price,about $18-24USD.
    it looks great in the pics you posted.

I have one main concern that maybe you can answer, If I do not sand the original bumper or prep the surface in any way how well does it stick.??? You said it was easy to remove.
    That is will it stay on like painting on a prepped surface or can you rub an edge with your fingers and break the edge loose so it will then peel off like a thin rubber sheet leaving a clean "as new" paint surface underneath???? Of course I dont want it to come loose during rubbing/washing or if it gets chipped or damaged in some way.
    If I do prep the surface by sanding will it stick then like regular paint???

From the pics you posted it looks just like regular flat paint, does it feel rubbery at all or just like flat paint??
    Thanks for your help. I may go and order some very soon depending on your answer as it may no longer be available here in Aust in a few months.

4. brian95638

brian95638 Well-Known Member

hey im in canada and the home depot dont got this.. any other stores u think might have this?

5. y2ray7697

y2ray7697 Well-Known Member

I'm gonna be trying this ASAP...thanks!!

6. RicanLancer

RicanLancer Well-Known Member

yea i'd recommend it. it's cheap and easy. I did mine using his idea. came out like this:

[​IMG]

7. Woot!! thanks for this info. I'll be heading tomorrow to homde depot to buy one.

8. Prophet

Prophet Well-Known Member

After reading this thread I decided to give it a try...

About a year ago I removed all the CF overlay trim I had in the car. It was starting to peel off and looked really tacky since even though it was real CF it really wasn't a true CF piece. After removing it I was left with alot of chips and and left over glue all over my interior.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see it leaves a kind of matte blacked textured color to it. I like it and is perfect for what I am looking for... I am going to do my other pieces this weekend and I will take pictures of those too.

9. bambam

bambam Well-Known Member

what kind of prep work did you do before painting it and how many coats did you use?

10. Prophet

According to the instructions you just need to clean the area but since I had tons of uneven chips and surface I went ahead and sanded it. I use a 60 grit to remove the old paint and primer. 120 to smooth it and a 220 grit to finish it off. I used four coats with 30 minutes of wait time between coats at least... wait four hours at least to dry...

11. krisx11

krisx11 Member

could i get this in gunmetal and paint over my rims

12. bambam

bambam Well-Known Member

alright thanks prohpet ill be getting this tomorrow and trying it out.

13. daisuki3

daisuki3 Member

wow, this is really impressive :]

14. dynasty3695

dynasty3695 Well-Known Member

any one know how easy it rly is to peal off??? i wana try it my self but in case i decide i want it off i want to make sure

15. Prophet

Probably not... from what I can tell you would be lucky just to find the color one's and it only comes in yellow, red, blue...

16. Prophet

Picture it not exactly like paint but a rubber that sprays on... the more coats you do the more durable it is... when I am done with all my pieces I may just paint something and peal it off after a couple of months just to see how hard it is to take off...

17. daisuki3

daisuki3 Member

i tried this paint out on a chrome lighter, it came out really nice.

I will post some pics of the lighter and of my front once I do it. Thanks again for the idea ! :D

18. bambam

bambam Well-Known Member

how do you get the grille off to do it?

19. mujahidMD

mujahidMD Well-Known Member

Look at the tutorials bambam

20. azn_ghetto

azn_ghetto Well-Known Member

if u want gunmetal just get duplicolor wheel paint

but this looks pretty good