sseanay's 02 OZ

Discussion in 'Members Progress Reports' started by sseanay, May 15, 2011.

1. sseanay

sseanay Member

Just got this a couple months ago as my first car. I got it pretty cheap too(4k). Since I've always been into cars and customization, I can't help but want to mod my own(especially because its close to being one of my favorite cars ever--An Evo). The build will probably be somewhat slow and spaced out due to the fact I'm only 16, and I'm still learning by looking stuff up about Performance parts so I'm able to do that kind of stuff as well.
    Anyways, enough talking, heres some pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the incredibly gross looking engine:
    [​IMG]
    the broken temp. knob that the local Mitsu dealer said would cost $1000 to fix...:
    [​IMG]
    the deteriorated wheels and rusted brakes/lugs:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Before i really get deep into modding, I definitely want to try to fix/clean up a lot of those smaller things that really bother me(the rust, etc.)

However, I have the main idea of what I want the car to look like in the end, and Performance parts will come together as I learn. But, I don't really have an order as to what I'm going to buy though, as it depends on the amount of money I have at one time to spend on it. The sound system is all being done for my birthday(May 24th) and I believe my sister is buying me the tail lights I want to get as well.
    Any news/ideas/findings/modifications I've made will posted in this thread though. Any and all suggestions and comments are welcome!:)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Current/Most Recent Picture:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Changes/Mods:
    5/16/11--Debadged trunk.(L-A-N-C-E-R gone.)

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  2. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

That's what needs to happen. Fix all of the problem areas, weather cosmetic or mechanical first...then you have a solid platform to build on. you've started out in the right direction, which is what I, personally, like to see. Most people like to go balls-out from the get go. Keep us updated on your build

3. sseanay

sseanay Member

haha yeah. I mean, the $1000 repair of the temp. knob may not happen before I start doing anything else, mostly due to the price and the fact that I can at least still change the temperature. But definitely the rust and what not is a big deal to me. I feel like if I don't fix all of that up first, then no matter what else I do will be cancelled out in my mind due to that haha.

The wheel problem will most likely be fixed if and when I decide to get the wheels i found on tirerack. They were Bronze Kazera KZ P's 17" and with tires on them, would cost $888+ shipping. I liked the design of those, and I definitely want bronze wheels, and the price was a huge bonus hah.

4. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

The broken HVAC, is it just the knob not turning (or turning, but not doing anything)? I think either H_U_N_K or Jogenmaru knows which part to fix it....and I think its fairly simple....

5. sseanay

sseanay Member

well when i originally got it, it turned really poorly, and felt like it was stuck half the time. then i turned it one time and it snapped. the parts would cost $200 the Mitsubishi dealership said, and then for them to do it, it would end up costing $1000, and so far I haven't found a place that would be able to do it any cheaper.

6. 1slowlance

1slowlance Well-Known Member

Welcome to LT. Looks a lot like mine when I first got it. About the temp knob....there's a plastic cog looking thing in the driver's side foot well. That is the gear that changes the temperature. If I remember correctly you have to push it to go to heat, and pull to get to a/c. It's hard at first, but once you start doing it it gets easier, at least it did for mine.

7. Chains

Chains Well-Known Member

I have the same issue, went to a garage out here in El Paso and the guy said that is would be like 500 for the A/C box and that that have to rip out the whole dash to get it out and everything. Then he said I could change it my self through from under the dash so i'm not even that worried about it. Plus if you get a new one, that one could break after a while too.

First thing I would do is get those lugs replaced you can get regular lugs from a tire place for a few bucks or you can just go to an autozone or something and get some colored ones with locks and key for between $16-$20.

8. sseanay

sseanay Member

yeah I was gonna do something like that soon, until I got new wheels, if I couldn't get the rust off of them.
    I looked up a how-to on getting the rust off of at least the drum brakes, and it said all i need is aerosol cleaner and a steel wool sponge or something to scrub it off with. I was gonna try the same thing on the lugs if I could.
    Any knowledge on how well that works is awesome haha.

worddd. that is definitely a good call. hopefully i can just get the knob reattached with tape/glue or something and then just use that to change the temperature. I barely use it anyways. And now that it is spring/summer, I just leave it on the A/C side, ill never need heat for awhile. awesomeawesomeawesome.

9. Chains

Chains Well-Known Member

I totally understand the drum but, as far as the lugs go I wouldn't even waste the time cleaning them. I would just try to find a nice set that you can use now and after you get the new wheels.

10. sseanay

sseanay Member

hah yeah that totally makes sense.
    now its just finding some way to make the wheels themselves look nice until I have the funds for the other ones.

11. Chains

Chains Well-Known Member

12. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

You can buy the wheel studs at advance auto for cheap if you end up breaking one trying to remove the lug nut. I had to do that with two of mine. Its fairly easy to install. And your standard 4g94 engine. Good thing you are playing the clean up game with it. Like l2q said earlier. Some ppl have the most jacked up looking things and try to pretty it up without cleaning it up first.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

13. sseanay

sseanay Member

14. 1slowlance

1slowlance Well-Known Member

You can just put the knob back in place. It doesn't really do much once the cord is broken between the knob and the gear control thingy. Just push or pull it to whichever you want. You'll figure out which way is heat and which is a/c pretty quick. I don't remember exactly which is which.

15. sseanay

sseanay Member

yeah thats what I was thinking of doing. I already went out to my car and figured it out. I'm gonna just try to make the knob stay on the cord thing with some tape/glue or something and then just when i want to change the temp, use the control near the pedals. I rarely ever have to change it. Right now it's on the highest of A/C because of spring/summer, and I can leave it that way until winter. its not like i touch that dial when I'm driving.

16. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

I had no idea you could get these seperately. Might even replace mine.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

17. Chains

Chains Well-Known Member

no prob ... I'm all about helping ... and I love finding ish on ebay ... lol

18. sseanay

sseanay Member

Probably going to debadge the trunk tomorrow(if weather is decent enough).
    the chrome look has gone on long enough, it's pretty annoying.

My perfectionistness showing yet?haha

and I'm gonna have my girlfriend buy me the wheel hub emblems off ebay for me, since she has an account and I dont(and obviously ill pay her back:p)

19. Chains

Chains Well-Known Member

Sure you will

20. sseanay

sseanay Member

haha nah I will. I don't like her buying me things really, haha.