Spoiler/Brake Light

Discussion in '7G Lancer and older - Customization' started by shieldwolf342, Feb 2, 2010.

1. shieldwolf342

shieldwolf342 Well-Known Member

So I have an aftermarket spoiler thats going on my car and the stock spoiler I have has a third brake light it in. Has anyone done anything special with it? I'm considering just snipping the wire and having it go no nothing but more curious as to if anyone has done anything special.
    FYI: Ive been told my a few mechanics that as long as my other 2 brake lights still work I dont need the third one so thats not a problem.

I was considering finding some sort of clear/red Mitsubishi logo and integrating it into the rear of the trunk so when you hit the brakes you get a Mitsu logo in red.

2. 1slowlance

1slowlance Well-Known Member

Interesting. I'm almost certain that you have to have a 3rd brake light.

3. shieldwolf342

well i think they were ok with the idea since i would be putting a "third" brake light incorporated into the trunk as the Mitsu logo idk ill have to do more research anyways.

ill be finding out here shortly hopefully gonna ask another mechanic that i actually trust 100 percent,

4. timschoeliertm

timschoeliertm Well-Known Member

where are the evo VIII's third brake light?

5. ChadD_OZ

ChadD_OZ Well-Known Member

third brake lights are not required in all states. just depends on where you live. and dont snip the wire because you might need it in the future. just open your trunk, look up, and unplug it. just my opinion.

6. shieldwolf342

ill take that advice for now just got the spoiler re-primed today gonna paint it in the next few days buts its going to be rather cold here in NY

7. timschoeliertm

what part of ny you live in? i live in binghamton

8. shieldwolf342

oh really ? thats an interesting tid bit maybe well have to meet up sometime we've prolly seen eachother around. im in JC officially

9. timschoeliertm

nice, i go to bcc, im the only red oz around, so if you ever see one its mine haha

10. ThunderOZ

ThunderOZ Well-Known Member

The Evos, like the other lancers without a spoiler third brake light, has its third brake light inside the cabin. It is facing the rear glass like most other vehicles. As far as the wire to the third brake light you currently have, don't cut it. It has a connection that can easily be unplugged.

11. timschoeliertm

but what about the evos with the back winsheild wipers?

12. shieldwolf342

quick update for everyone.

spoiler has been sanded and primed letting fully cure and doing a light finish sand on the primer while im deciding on who to get the paint for it from.

13. ThunderOZ

ThunderOZ Well-Known Member

Same thing.

14. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

Depending on the type of spoiler you can actually get it incorporated into the spoiler. Im going to do it to my evo vii spoiler when it gets here.