Should I mod?

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by gator4life108, Apr 28, 2008.

1. gator4life108

gator4life108 Well-Known Member

Quick question for you all,
    I have the 2008 lancer es with the automatic transmission (had to get it because of the wife, I wanted a manual) anyway wanted to know of anybody out there who has the same car like mine (es with the automatic) that hasnt broke the bank and and put a few mods on to give the car some more power. Basically is it worth it with what I have to mod it performance wise or should I just save my money?
    If that makes any sense!!
    Thanks,

2. Texas Aggie

Texas Aggie Well-Known Member

That depends on what your overall goal is. Me personally, I think the 152HP fed spec is enough for me to pass stupid people on the road. I'll probably only do a CAI, headers, and exhaust just cause. I'm more for show anyways.

Thus far there isn't a turbo for the CVT. RRM has developed a turbo for the M/T but is having difficulty breaking the ECU code for the CVT. You should probably save your money and wait it out.

3. gator4life108

Thats what I thought about doing, like a short ram intake and something else. Just not sure if those things(intake and exhaust) on these cars really help out.

4. Texas Aggie

I WANT to say that the CAI brings 8 HP...but I'm not 100% on that. I heard the headers make a pretty good improvement as well as the SRI. I like the SRI cause it sounds like the car is faster than it really is...lol...

I think a RRM SRI is only like $160ish...maybe $180. Not too bad and it sounds great.

5. Bryn1987

Bryn1987 Well-Known Member

of course it helps out, it helps out on every car, even those annoying ricer civics -_- (thats if they decide to actually put performance parts on their car ant just rice)... but i guess what ur really trying to ask, is it worth doing?... well, thats a question that u should be asking urself more then anyone, how are u planning to use the car? or do u simply want it for the bling factor? etc.

as far as 8HP from the CAI, thats what they state, but that might just be the very peak HP at a certain rpm... my best guess would be an avg of... maybe 6 hp extra? just a guess though

6. gator4life108

well the main point of this is I know some vehicles it takes quite of bit of money to get anything worth while out of the car. Just basically a tester to see what you guys have seen in your experiece.

I just want to be able to hold my own on the street, by I know that is hindered with the automatic transmission.

7. Bryn1987

and such a small engine, 2.4L 4b12 ftw ;) lol... but ya, if ur looking for improvements... from what i've heard from the intakes and headers, u can feel the difference, not too sure what many have said performance-wise about the exhausts though... but they sound nice =) lol... it "should" help though seeing as it makes airflow better

8. eTXlancer

eTXlancer Well-Known Member

i just got my cai on ...buy it! worth the money

9. grizbone

grizbone Well-Known Member

I completely agree, I added my Injen CAI this past weekend and it made a world of difference. Granted I have no dyno to prove that. But it seems to have helped through the hole spread. Increased pickup from low all the way to top rpms. Im very happy with it.

10. Redline1

Redline1 Well-Known Member

i got the same car as you buddy. i upgraded exhaust to custom hks. RRM Sri> RRm light Weight pully. and tie bars, its not an evo but i love the difference. she picks up and past 3 k its all good. headers are on my list and so is the ingine cai. the car is fun to mod,

11. totalmajor

totalmajor Well-Known Member

If you want an opinion with some facts behind it,

dont do anything to your car.

nothing is worth spending on this car.

its made for economy.

turbocharging is the only thing that's worth doing, but i guarantee you that this economy car turbocharger will be around 3,000 that'll bring you up to what a stock 2.4L lancer's going to have (172hp)

12. Bryn1987

where u getting 172 from? cuz from what i see, 2.4L is 168, and i don't think a turbo is only gonna get u 16 HP... and anyway, the biggest improvement is not the HP in the 4b12 imo, it's the torque, 4b12 engines have 21 more torque... that right there means better accel =)... 4b12 engine runs 0-60 a whole second faster then the 4b11

13. Prophet

Prophet Well-Known Member

WTF??? Where are you getting your numbers from? I would like to see your research that shows a properly built FI set up will only net you 172hp? What parts are you basing this off of? What size turbo? What manifold? What electronics? What etc.?

[​IMG]

14. Texas Aggie

LMAO!! THAT WAS AWESOME!

15. blacksheep818

blacksheep818 Well-Known Member

i think we all have been asking for that since he got to this forum

16. v8u

v8u New Member

I'd say it's never really worth modding an n/a economy car other than some intake or catback...or even a lightened pulley. But then again, those will net very small gains, if any. You're better off with suspension or something to make it stop better, because from my experience, intakes are just really noise makers on these cars.

I agree with TM, the turbokits are usually over priced and overrated in the power department...not to mention, you'll be sacrificing a lot of reliability and adding a whole new list to the maintenance schedule. Unless it's tuned perfectly and dialed in, it's not worth it IMO.

My friend invested all his time and money into an RRM turbo kit on his 04' Ralliart AUTO...everything installed correctly and dialed in and he still is in the mid-14's at the track. Stock WRX's are eating him alive all day, and stock WRXs are not fast by any means, I had one.

Keep it stock, maybe a CAI, but don't waste you're time and money after that.

If you want more power, buy car with a higher performance platform.

17. ddboy

ddboy Well-Known Member

I have a CVT GTS modded with the Injen CAI and the Greddy Ti-C exhaust.
    These tow components have made the car so much more fluent.

18. totalmajor

totalmajor Well-Known Member

Prophet, sweetheart..

Looks like I was a bit right...

RRM did release a turbocharger... $5000 for a SUPPOSED 76hp (at the crank)

Which will be like 50HP at the wheels....

We get like 125 at the wheels..

175 FWHP

Once again, I was right, PROPHET, That's strike 2

19. Texas Aggie

Dude...STFU! You just got banned and now you're coming back to continue talking shit? Are you REALLY that STUPID!?

20. Hydrolikz

Hydrolikz Well-Known Member

^LOL!!!