Remote start...

Discussion in 'Audio, Security and Electronics' started by 08mitz, Dec 11, 2007.

1. 08mitz

08mitz Well-Known Member

is it illegal in the sense of not passing inspection to have a remote start on a manual tranny... my friend told be u could not do it. :?:

2. spunx021

spunx021 Well-Known Member

my bro had remote start on his eclipse and it had a manual tranny, so yes it is possible, don't really know if that's what your question was

3. Guest

Guest Guest

No by all means. Just be safe! Be sure to add safety switches. I have done them by wiring into the parking brake and be adding a micro switch mounted at the base of the shift. this is to sense that the car is in neutral.

4. spunx021

spunx021 Well-Known Member

it's funny that you bring that up coz when he got it installed, the guy who installed didn't do all that stuff so one time he left it on first gear and when he started his car, it jumped and hit the wall, :lol: :lol: (the look on his face was priceless!!)

5. Guest

Guest Guest

this is why u get what u pay for! ty 4 that reply^

proves all my points.

6. tatsujo

tatsujo Well-Known Member

If you are asking about if it is possible on a manual tranny, yes it is. You will need to wire one into the ignition, one into the clutch so it bypasses the having to depress the clutch to turn on the engine. Everything is is pretty much like any other normal alarm.

Make sure the positives, negatives, light switches, etc. are properly wired.

7. 08mitz

08mitz Well-Known Member

appreciate the info guys... my question was is it passable on the day i go get it inspected if i do it.. he said it was not and i would fail my inspection 8O

8. tatsujo

What inspection are you talking about?

9. 08mitz

08mitz Well-Known Member

registration and inspection that you have to get done once a year on your car.

10. tatsujo

Once a year? Hmm, unless it's different where you live I have never ever recalled doing that when I had my old car here in CA. Smog checks, but that's like every two years or something like that.

I doubt it should affect the inspection... unless the installer taps into the ignition harness in the engine bay, I can see that being a problem. Other than that, I don't see any other problems with a regular car alarm system.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

You dont have to have your car inspected. Even if you did they cant say anything about. Im sorry but your buddy has been very mis-informed.

12. WildBill

WildBill Well-Known Member

Here in Texas, we have to have our cars inspected once a year. The mechanic basically does a quick routine check of the entire cars basic operational ability, that all safety features are present and working, and that (the big one) the car passes emission tests put forth by the EPA. That being said, I have several friends who have remote starts on their trucks and cars and have never had an issue. If you are concerned about it, go to or call your local police office and just ask. Saves time and confuzion.

Bill

13. gatzaraki

gatzaraki Well-Known Member

^^same as in P.R.^^ :x

14. 08mitz

08mitz Well-Known Member

thanks bill ... forgot that its a lil different in texas. i checked its no prob ... my friends a freakin idiot ... he has the same alarm system and he doesent want me to have the same one as him .. thanks guys :thumbright:

15. tatsujo

^
    Haha, buddies will be buddies.

I was thinking of getting a cheap remote start on ebay and just using the remote start feature keeping my stock security. I live in quite a good neighborhood and the car is always garaged, so we'll see.

Be sure to post a clip if you can of the remote start. :thumbright:

16. WildBill

Not to be rude or mean when I say this KRU, but yes, everyone in Texas, at least, has to have their car inspected once a year (its about $50 to $75 depending on who you get to do it). If you don't, then you can get an extra $250 ticket if a police officer pulls you over. I know that at the DUI stops they setup, that is one of the things the check for beyond drunk drivers.

Bill

17. midunn

midunn Well-Known Member

Yeah there's places in Canada like that as well. In Nova Scotia it's a yearly thing,actually have a sticker on your car that shows when you had it inspected last and if you get stopped by the cops that's usually the first thing they'll look at. It's good in some ways because it keeps the old pieces of crap off the road.

18. AeJarrotto

AeJarrotto Well-Known Member

haha thats how it is here in North Carolina to, yearly inspection, but most of the time you could just go to this one place down the road and they pretty much don't look at anything, peel your windshield sticker off and put on a new one. But now there starting emission inspection.... :evil: no more easy sticker.

19. Guest

Guest Guest

Oh wow that sucks! My bad.

20. WildBill

Yeah it does. The worse part is the EPA is pushing congress to make a federal law that all states have to mandate and begin doing these yearly inspections. Because of that, as AeJarrotto said, that means it would be a federal crime to not properly be certified and perform the inspection correctly. It is mainly there to do 2 things. One, to help the environment, and two, to provide additional funds for the local/state government. I know that Texas uses its vehicle inspection funds to resurface and fix old roads, highways, and bridges, so I do not mind as long as it fixes those potholes.

Bill