Rally Mud-flaps

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Sinestra, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Sinestra

Sinestra Well-Known Member

Well here is my how to on making mud-flaps. A cheaper alternative and or more custom way to get some mud-flaps for your Lancer.

Things you will need:

1 - Utility knife with lots of extra blades
    1 - Cutting mat and or hard surface you can slice into
    1 - Tape Measure
    1 - Sharpie Marker (I used red b/c it shows up on black)
    1 - T-square
    1 - 24"x30" Tractor Trailer Mud-flap
    2 - Pieces of cardboard at least 18" tall by 12" wide
    1 - Drill with a 1/8" bit
    14 - 1-1/2" Stainless self tapping screws and washers to match
    x10 - Patients!!

[​IMG]

What I did to start was determined the height by width I wanted for the flap, how much I wanted the flap to extend out past the edge of the body, and how far below the lowest point on the body I wanted it to hang.

[​IMG]

I then held up the piece of cardboard to the areas on the front and rear of the car and traced the body line down the cardboard accordingly so that I had an idea of the angle of the wheel well.

Next I went inside and mimicked the lines of the body a few (+/- 2.5 inches) in on the template and took a shot at guessing where I could mount the screws that will hold it in place, although this will not really matter now, only when I actually mount it to the car.

[​IMG]

I then matched up the template I made to the flap and cut. Take your time and be really careful. The flap I had was about 1/4" thick and had lots of fibers inside (Super durable stuff here) Eventually you'll have the exact replica of your cardboard template.

[​IMG]

I made two different heights and widths for the front and rear flaps which I will state at the end of this how to. I also cut the top corners @ an angle as you will see in the image below of all four flaps completed.

[​IMG]

The flaps I got were $20 Bucks at a truck stop. If you Google Tractor Trailer Mud-flap you'll find some similar I'm sure. I'm not a huge fan of the ones I picked up since they do have "Stripes" if you will but a) I wanted to see if I could do this and b) I can always order a completely flat set or so if I don't really like it once They're on.

I purchased some hardware from the local Hardware store. 1-1/2" Stainless self-tapping screws with a hex head and stainless washers to fit those.

[​IMG]

NOW YOU'RE READY TO INSTALL THEM ON THE CAR.

What I did for this was held up the flap to where I thought it should be etc on the inside of the wheel well. I taped the flap into place and then stepped back to check out the angles etc. Made adjustments and such until I liked the position.

My next step was to get a power drill with a 1/8" bit and pre-drill the first hole and then install the screw and washer. After this step I had to re-adjust things as they moved when I pre-drilled. Once Adjusted again I drilled the second, third, (and fourth on the rear).

This is what it will look like when you have all the screws in. I have 3 in the fronts and 4 in the rears. NOTE** The fronts have a little piece that sticks out a bit and you have to trim the flap as it is below.

[​IMG]

And Wala! Thats it! No everyone might have differing heights and such that they like - This is what I like about doing this custom, the freedom to more or less design your own flap.

Some Extra Pics!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you have any ?'s and or need any help feel free to post/PM me - I'll be more than willing to lend any help I can!

Attached below is a starter template PDF of the Mudflap Layout - Enjoy

Attachments: