question

Discussion in '8G Lancer - General Information' started by dynasty3695, Jun 16, 2010.

1. dynasty3695

dynasty3695 Well-Known Member

is this the Valve cover gasket?

Im just wondering if the black gasket is the Valve cover gasket? trying to order a new one and not to sure if its that. i wana make sure thats what it is be for I order a new one
    been leaking some oil and its spraying all over my engine =/

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  2. 1slowlance

1slowlance Well-Known Member

The black line going around the outer edge of the whole head right there is your head gasket, if I'm not mistaken.

3. dynasty3695

i could be wrong, but i thought the head gasket sits right on top of the engine block, under the cylinder head. that and usualy the head gasket is metal

4. 1slowlance

1slowlance Well-Known Member

True. What type of engine is this on? That was one of the only things I can really see in that picture.

5. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

Looks like a early 4g63. And yes, the black rubber along the outer edge is the valve cover gasket. The head gasket does sit in between the block and head...Depending on the brand, it could have anywhere between 3 and 6 different layers.

6. dynasty3695

Its the 4b11 engine. I just rolled over 50k today and talked to my dealer about it. They might cover this and my o2 sensor for free even though im out of warranty =D
    and sorry HUNK, it was a picture off my cell phone, and obviousley the quality is not all that good, but its all i have.

7. matchstick

matchstick Active Member

That would be the valve cover gasket... Leaking after 50K miles... geez did we go without a oil change for to long? (although that usually blows the head gasket). I am at 58K myself and no problem. But that should be under warranty.

It would be stacked as follows...

Valve Cover
    Valve Cover Gasket
    Cylinder Head
    Head Gasket
    Engine Block

8. dynasty3695

I keep up damn well with my oil changes suprisingley, usualy 3-4k miles and ill swap it out. and my warranty was 5 yr 50000 miles. and I just rolled over the 50k mark the other day, but I talked to the dealer and he will do it for me under warranty, so I lucked out seeing how some are pricks about that and would screw me over

9. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

first, are you sure you are leaking oil from the valve cover? sometimes you could have not put the 710 cap on correctly. but since you took out the cover off, install a new gasket and you should be put on RTV as well...

LMFAO @ the comment of "looks like a 4G63" not even close

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  10. dynasty3695

thanks man. im sure its the vaulve cover, I can watch it piss out oil while it idles. and i also had the dealer take a look and hopefully tomorow there gona be replaceing it for free.

11. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

You know I just read this and WHAT? Dude your at 50k? I just hit 83k in my 03 Lancer? Is this car used for work. That 25k a year.

12. dynasty3695

Bought my car with 13k on it, I live about 10 miles from civalization and my job.. Theres a few days where I will make that trip once or twice a day. I used to play paintball so I would travle out of state quite often or drive 4 hrs a week just to make it to a practice, and in summer I stay at my lake cottage so thats a damn good drive dailey to get to work. I bought it for the good gas mileage mostley. About to get a bike to keep some miles off of the car this summer at some point. Basicley the miles start adding up a LOT over time.