Question about Subs/Amps/Capacitors

Discussion in 'Audio, Security and Electronics' started by jRox, Sep 7, 2007.

1. jRox

jRox Well-Known Member

hey guys. I just purchased the Kicker DS12L52. They're dual 12" L5's. Retail price in 6thave says $699, but i was able to find it for half. now i just need an amp, right?

[​IMG]

I dont know much about audio and stuff, so dont flame me for my lack of knowledge. The kicker recommends: Maximum recommended amplifier power: 1,200W RMS, 2,400W peak. I'm lookin to spend about $200 for an amp, if possible.

thanks in advance.

2. Subawho

Subawho Well-Known Member

I would imagine you are going to need to spend more than $200 to get the most out of those subs, but then I know practically nothing about stereo stuff. You arent going to have an amp for each sub?

3. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

Guessing you would need more cash to spend on an amp. Its kinda like spending the doe on some pirelli pzero just to put them on your 14" steel rims.

fyi-thats why they build 2 channel and 4 channel amps

4. Subawho

4 channel is for two subs right?

5. Subawho

The most I know about subs and amps was from just seeing my friends truck. He had two 12" subs each with its own sub

6. Prophet

Prophet Well-Known Member

Depends on the application. They also make five channel amps or you could power five subs using a mono block with only one channel...

7. Prophet

You are going to need to find a amp that will put out 1,200 RMS watts. I would suggest a Elemental Designs NINe.1 to properly power that set up.

Click Here

Give them a call and ask for Chris or Alex and tell them Jason Nickel sent you. They will take care of you.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

ok heres the skinny. in fairness to the amp, never use a for channel amp for subs. The power supply in them are geared towards mids and highs.

I would would more than agree with prophet on the mono amp. It is ur best choice for amps when powering high quality subs or any sub for that matter.

My first and pretty much bias choice for subs these days are KICKER SOLOBARICS. Dont get me wrong there are handful of other awesome companies out there, but for the versatility and durability I always go with KICKER, but I will sell any sub to any customer.

I have never used Element stuff and I know they are a vendor on here and Prophet seems to be happy with them so thats a positive.
    I like using the ALPINE PDX amps tinny as heck with massive out put that is clean and can handle the abuse that a sub puts on an amp. :diabloanifire:
    I dont pay to advertise on here so Im just going with the flow.

Oh yeah! if ur paying retail on an amp then expect to pay at least $750 for a quality amp that will put out the power you are asking for or if you know of some one that can hook you up :wink: then you will pay less of course.

9. jRox

jRox Well-Known Member

eeek $750. damn i shuda looked ahead before i bought these. lol.

so you guys suggest a mono amp? any recommendations? links?

10. Prophet

:?:

11. lancered

lancered Well-Known Member

www.caraudiodeals.com find the audiobahn mono amp.its about 1600 watts.should push them pretty good,if they are 2 ohm.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Run Audiobahn!!! jk lancered! Honestly though and I know ur extending a helping hand lancered, but audiobahn is just a step above swap meet. they have raw power and have done ok in SPL cars but dang do they get hot!

Dont get mad Prophet that i associated Audiobahn with ur love of the sport. SORRY!!! LOL!

I have built over 2 dozen cars for Audiobahn themselves and well its your choice.

GOOD LUCK!!!

13. Prophet

lol... I would never and I mean NEVER suggest anyone to run Audiobahn and I can't believe you would suggest it in any kind of proper SPL set up KRU :lol:

If you are looking to go extremly cheap see if you can find one of those older JBL amps. I can't remember the model number but they where pretty cheaply priced and put out a solid thousand watts. I'll see if I can find the model number.....

14. lancered

true man,im just tryin to help out,but its on sale that site i gave.well yea the amp i had pushed my two white infinity 12s the hardest but you are right,they get hot.but i made the mistake of running it at one ohm not two since they can only run 4 or 2 maybe 1 ohm. i got experience to man around a dozen also with my whips and friends so i know what you are talking about.mtx was always the same thing.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey Prophet- I had to cover my @$$ and associate them with what I know of Audiobahn. I was there from the beginning when they started. Your luck you didnt have to go through it.

Any ways just covering my tracks cuz im sure if I didnt some one would say " what about the 02 USAC event where Bill Haze burped that mic so hard it broke and that was all Audiobahn power"

Oh shit wait that was me that just said that!!! LMAO!!! but serious you know they would.

16. lancered

can you find an older JBL amp? maybe at the pawn shop.but he said he was on a budget and im getting criticized for my suggestion,BS. i had an awesome set up with my audiobahn amp and with my infinity 12s,and it BEAT the hardest around my town.

17. Prophet

Bump on a budget... I would take any JBL, Rockford, MTX, PYLE, and even Jensen to your Audiobahn but that is my opinion. Learn to deal with other people's opinions.....

18. Guest

Guest Guest

Its not like that LANCERED! Its cool bro! Prophet and i have been around the game for awhile. 21 years myself! We r not bustn ur nuts, just Audiobahns. I can get Audiobahn dirt cheap and have sold plenty. They r a gr8 oney maker and have a lot of flash, but when some1 steps up and buys some top notch subs, why take a step backwards.

It is way awesome that you are helpn out. not many do. Much respect!

19. Prophet

lol... they where good before they started to Neon out and Chrome out there products. Kind of like Rockford... solid products before they went commercial IMO. All though there stuff is getting better... at least the high end products.

20. lancered

thanks KRU.sry. ok,yea i learned my lesson i wont mess with audiobahn ever again,but i was thinking of getting the same subs for my lancer.you know anything about LANZAR products?