Plasti dip question....

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Customization' started by Belgaram, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Belgaram

Belgaram Well-Known Member

I'd like to Plasti dip my engine cover and black out the front bumper. From what I've seen it all looks pretty straight forward as far as spraying it, but the one thing I havent seen and Im curious about is:

Is there any prep work? wet sanding etc? And how forgiving is plasti dip for leaving drips? Nothing worse than having a perfect job go bad cuz you over spray 1 little spot and get a drip! Thats enough to make ya wanna punch a baby in the face! o_O

I figure Ill practice on something before I actually do it...

2. shieldwolf342

shieldwolf342 Well-Known Member

everything ive used plastidip for has held up pretty good and it evens out really well without drips and overspray can be undone pretty easy

BUT.....im not sure it would hold up to the heat of an engine cover.

3. jRox

jRox Well-Known Member

The only prep work required is cleaning the surface thoroughly before applying the plastidip. Do not sand the surface. Plastidip won't drip as long as you apply a thin layer at a time. 3-4 coats are recommended.

4. Mpitera

Mpitera Well-Known Member

I'm seen a few headlight housing's that started to bubble from the heat so i'm not sure if it'll hold. if it does, please post pictured and let us know :)

5. jRox

jRox Well-Known Member

Plasti-dip has a very flat/matte finish. Putting plasti-dip on headlights housings make your headlights look foggy/faded and half-assed; I've seen it in person. If you want to tint your headlights, go with regular tint or vinyl.

6. mhmayhem88

mhmayhem88 Well-Known Member

I can't speak about the engine cover but as far as the front grill goes, it's extremely easy. As was said, just clean the surface before hand and obviously tape off/cover everything in the surrounding area. It won't drip. It goes on very evenly. Just make sure you're in an enclosed area. I was dumb and parked my car facing outwards from the garage with the door open and the air/wind prevented it from going on even. I turned it around and closed the garage door, problem solved. And the best thing is, if you screw up you can just peel it off and do it over again. It won't damage anything. The only area that is a pain is around the edges. The problem I ran into was I finished putting it on and then pealed off the tape and the plasti dip was coming with it. In order to fix that I put on and pealed off tape around the edges every time I put a coat on. So yeah...just some things to keep in mind.

7. y2ray7697

y2ray7697 Well-Known Member

I have it on my engine cover...it holds up GREAT...no issues AT ALL! You can even armor all the engine cover then haha. I used ot have it blue, then wanted to return it to black...had some Plasti-Dip leftover and painted it on. It's been on my engine for almost 4 months and NO ISSUES at all. Plus, it matches stock almost perfectly!

img0542y.jpg

8. Belgaram

Belgaram Well-Known Member

Awesome!! Good to know!! Thanks for the info! @Mayhem: Yeah, I made that mistake of doing it outside and ended up using a whole can and it needs to be redone. Next time, Im doing it in my garage! @Ray: Yeah that looks really good. I like where you painted too. If I could find Rotor Glow Plasti-Dip, I'd be in heaven :)

9. Mpitera

Yeah I kno, it wasn't used for a tinting effect more of a EyeBrow type of look. He tapped off a design of an eyebrow and sprayed away.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  10. Mpitera

Looks awesome man. Let us know if it hold up. I hope it does because that just opens so many doors for Plastic Dip. XD

Ps. Where is everyone finding all these colors? I can only find Black in Home Depot , Lowes, ect. lol

11. WHITE SHARK_GTS

WHITE SHARK_GTS New Member

..I have a 2009 gts and wanted to get the black out kit from OEM until i heard of plasti dip...just one question- how did you cover the holes where the plate is? will the plasti dip cover that since its a rubber coat?

12. WHITE SHARK_GTS

WHITE SHARK_GTS New Member

13. jRox

jRox Well-Known Member

I just used bumper plugs. You can paint where there's open ventilation. Also, expect overspray.