Normal Load or High Voltage?

Discussion in '7G Lancer and older- General Information' started by shieldwolf342, May 17, 2011.

1. shieldwolf342

shieldwolf342 Well-Known Member

So I'm putting in the car computer with an amp ect and I ran into some ground loop issues most of which are resolved now but while measuring out voltages I noticed that the car not under load was running 12.3V which is normal but under load it was bumping all the way to 14.6V and with the engine revving i was running 14.9V. Are these high? I need to set up a voltage regulator for the computer and amp so i dont fry them out.

Also FYI the ground on the cigarette lighters is a joke.....mine was reading 2.3V till I rewired it.

2. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

I will let you know when I get home. You should text me at 5 when I get home just to make sure I dont forget. I do know that at idle it should be no more than 12.5. It will drop the moment you cut the ac on and during load it should be around 13. No more than that. I will check mine just to make sure. It also depends on where you are measuring your voltage at. And check the fuses in your engine bay compartment to make sure they are right with what your cars manual says.

3. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

Well, I can tell you that I keep my Aeroforce gauge on volts and RPM's.... While at idle, it reads 12.9-13.2v and while driving it is between 13.9-14.2v.

4. shieldwolf342

shieldwolf342 Well-Known Member

voltages were checked in the car off the radio harness and directly on the battery terminals so i know there is no variation it just seems really high to me.

5. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

Your levels are correct. These are the results of my test using a fluke 115 true rms digital multimeter.

No key door closed 12.97
    No key door open 12.97
    key in ingnition off position 12.97
    Key in ignition acc position 12.90 w/radio on
    Key in ignition acc position 12.92 w radio off
    Key in ignition in on position 12.75
    Key in ignition in start position 12.75
    Car on key in on position 14.35 with and without radio. No amp or sub for me
    Same with ac on

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

6. toddrs93

toddrs93 Member

anywhere from 13.4-14.9 is generally acceptable with the car running