new lancer owner looking for ideas

Discussion in '8G Lancer - General Information' started by orange holiday, Jul 30, 2010.

1. hey guys i am new to the forum and just bought my 2010 gts 3 days ago. awesome car so far. i was just wondering if any one had suggestions on what i would add to give the car a little more juice. i see alot of ppl on here add air intakes and exhausts are there any more options than these. and i am also trying not to void my cars warrenty. any suggestions would help thanks

2. 1slowlance

1slowlance Well-Known Member

Welcome to LT. Other than intake and exhaust, there's not much else you can do to not void the warranty. I think we made a thread somewhere about what voids it and what doesn't, but that may be somewhere else I'm thinking of.

3. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

Not without voiding the warranty no. You should be able to get an intake and exhaust from your dealer at a "PRICE". But to make you faster you can add all sorts of things to your car like header, crank pulley, etc. All of which will make you faster, but if you don't get them from the dealer you will void your warranty on certain parts of your vehicle.

Here is a link to performance parts for you. You are the 2.4 liter lancer correct. Well here is your page of goodies.

http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/..._23_24&zenid=41925113f1225e42b5ef7ce09c0a6c1d

4. so i can put a cold air intake and an exhaust myself with out voiding my warrenty. i was reading about a performance chip for these cars any know anything about those.

5. Jogenmaru

no. your warranty will void if you buy and put it on yourself. You would actually have to go to dealer. And performance chips will void it as well. I'm curious though...when you say performance chip what exactly do you mean? Point me in the right direction for this performance chip please.

6. http://www.performancechipsdirect.com/Mitsubishi/Lancer/

this is what i was looking at idk much about them they just popped up when i was doing research. what would you guys suggest as a good place to start for my first mod for a little more performance between the exhaust and intake. and if anyone has any info on what these chips are about please fill me in.

7. and just another quick question. how does the civic si put out more hp than the gts lancer even though the lancer has a larger engine. what kind of tweeks does that 2.0 in the civic have done to it. just curious

8. Jogenmaru

I couldn't tell you. It's always been that way. Honda's 2005 Civic ex puts out 7 more hp at that crank than Mitsubishi's OZ Rally. The two cars...Lancer and Civic have always been in some kind of battle since the Lancer hit the states. But the Evo is in a class to their own so we won't mention them. Lemme put it to you this way. Civic is a catch up vehicle where as Lancer is off the gun vehicle. Although the lancer has no low end hp..it makes up for it in torque. Civic is the exact opposite. They have always been this way. They are pretty even in competition. But the SI is more along the lines of the Ralliart than the gts. Well in the 7th gens anyway. Im not exactly sure on the 8th gens. I assume same story.

9. Belgaram

Belgaram Well-Known Member

Jog is right. I actually asked the Service Manager at my dealer and he said "Cold air intake does not void the warranty UNLESS you hydro lock because you sucked in water, then it voids it. Cat backs are ok, Hi flow cat is not." And he also told me that you'd be surprised at what people will do to try to cover it up.. Like swapping back to the factory stuff but the screw heads are a little stripped... Or paint is chipped on factory screws etc... They can tell when you mess with your stuff and try to swap it back.

If you're gonna do any real HP increases you pretty much gotta void the warranty. And what makes it tough is Mitsubishi's warranty is too damned long and good to risk it. I think with non-warranty voiding upgrades you can up HP around 20 hp +/-. If you void your warranty you can get over 100 HP increases. Check out the video (and the smokin hot chick) on Road Race Motorsports Lancer (do a YouTube search for Road Race Motorsports Turbo Lancer). Basically makes a Lancer as fast or faster than an Evo...

Theres a shit load of arguments about it... I say, MOST tuners are 2WD that you see at shows, tracks etc. So we fall into that catergory. I'd rather take a Stock Lancer GTS, work it and beat the Piss out of a stock Evo than just going out and buy the Evo... Why.. Shock value for 1. NO ONE will expect a Lancer to beat an Evo... EVER.... So the respect meter goes WAY up. Also, people don't realize that the Evos turbo lag is pretty bad and Evos lose HP to the 4WD. Don't get me wrong.. If I wanted the car payment, I'd have bought the Evo in a New York minute. But I personally have always wanted a good base tuner that I could develop. The guy at Road Race Motorsports pretty much hits the nail on the head when describing their turbo Lancer.

10. thats all im really looking for the 20 hp that i can get without voiding my warranty. what did you have in mind when you were thinking of the mods to get to that point. and which would you do first

11. Belgaram

I am ordering the Catback and Ram Air intake on Tuesday. They are my first steps.

12. those are two pretty easy installs right? whats that gonna run you price wise. and how much hp are you expecting to get from these. also i have been reading on the forum about the difference between the cold air intake and the short ram intake. how did you choose which to go with.

and one more thing i also read on here about some ppl having problem with the cars after adding these mods like the car needing to be tuned any thoughts on this.

sorry about all the questions just trying to get all the info i can

13. BlueDevilLancer

BlueDevilLancer Well-Known Member

questions are always a good thing. in terms of an intake, i personally have the CAI rather than the SRI. It is reported that the SRI does get more power (check around the forum). As for exhaust it all depends on what you want whether it be an axle back or a full cat back (increase in pipe dia. after the cat possibly?) check out our main vendor Auto City Imports. They'll be happy to help you and set you up with some nice mods. Also, basic bolt ons should not require a tune if they were built based on a stock tuned car. And as for price, it varies but you're looking at around $250-$300 for an intake and around $400 for an exhaust. Again it all depends on what you want to put on your car. I hope this helps you and welcome to LT

14. i think i am leaning more towards the SRI but i was looking at auto city imports and i didnt see any on there. and also i realize the whole warranty thing has been gone over time and time again but. say i put the SRI on and my clutch goes. would somthing like that be covered by warranty even with the SRI on.

15. 1slowlance

I think last we covered this we came to the conclusion that the modification has to have something to do with what went wrong. Like your example, your clutch goes out and the dealer sees you have an aftermarket intake, they can't say your intake is aftermarket so that's why your clutch went out. Thus, saying that it voided your warranty. But, you never know what the stealerships are gonna try to do.

16. Belgaram

I was 100% set on the CAI until I read about the differences. Theres a few other differences to add to the mix that made my decision for me 1) CAI's power comes in at higher RPMs or at the end of a 1/4 your speed will be a little higher. 2) Ram Air gets you the initial launch. 3) Installing the Ram Air is 1000 easier than the CAI because you don't have to take half your car apart to get it where it needs to be. 4) Ram is generally about 100 bux cheaper than the CAI. 5) Ram gives 12.5 HP gains vs. CAI's 11HP. 6) CAI's risks of hydro locking are alot greater because it is down in your wheel well. Our wheel wells are vented so ideally it would be a great thing but it also allows water to get to it. And lastly 7) personally, I think the Ram air looks cooler because you actually see it. And it has less bends so more air.

Cold Air intakes do not void a warranty UNLESS the cold air is directly responsible for the problem ie sucking water into your engine.

I got a question tho.... Anyone know if the Injen Shorty comes with a throttle body spacer? Is it needed for it? Does it make a difference?

17. 1slowlance

I don't think I've ever heard of an intake coming with a throttle body spacer. And, from what I've heard, throttle body spacers help. I've never dealt with, nor researched the effects of it.

18. any body know about these chips that were discussed earlier

19. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

If you wanted more POWA, get the X...

20. Jogenmaru

I don't trust those chips vs a decent tune. RRM makes a piggy back which is more trusted than that. But you can get it if you want. I wouldn't trust it though not unless I knew someone personally with one. Or they are backed by a whole community on forums somewhere.