Lancer Evo

Discussion in '8G Lancer - General Information' started by FrozenPhoenix, Mar 21, 2011.

1. FrozenPhoenix

FrozenPhoenix Member

Hello All, I am new to the forum. I have a BMW and will always love BMWs, but I am hoping to get another car, and I saw a Lancer Evo. I must say, I was amazed and I was seriously considering one as my next car. Until I saw the price tag.

Being a student, I'm not looking to drop that much on an Evo. But I know the Lancer has the same body-style and I really like it too. I can see that the body is different, and I'm sure that the performance of the Evo is far better.

But seeing as it is out of my price range, what are the differences between the Evo and the standard lancer (Exterior, Interior, Engine, Suspension, etc)? I'm sorry, I know this is a stupid question, but I don't know much about Lancers. Thanks for all the help!

2. FrozenPhoenix

FrozenPhoenix Member

By the way, I was talking about the current lancer (2007+)
    Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

3. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

The evo is awd and turbo. Lancer makes 125 hp to the wheels and evo make 239 hp to the wheels. Also, the transmission is better. You can turbo a lancer but only if you get the standard or auto version. There hasn't been a reliable kit made for the cvt transmission yet. Most of those who buy a cvt end up doing n/a mods. There is also a gts model which is 2.4L unlike the lancer or evos 2.0L. That model makes around 145 hp at the wheels. This is for the usa market of course.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

4. Jogenmaru

I would consider getting the evo 8 or evo 9 for power over the evo 10 which you are currently looking at. Although the evo 10 will be the last one made. So get it now while its not rare. Everyone seems to think the evo 8 and 9 are true rally cars where as the 10 is more a luxury car and can't do everything the 8/9 can.

5. Belgaram

Belgaram Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Lancer forums! Depends what you are looking for. Obviously, the Lancer can't compete with the style and performance of the BMW. But if you are looking for a great commute car that has good gas mileage, is fun to drive, handles and drives better than most similarly priced sedans. Absolutely go for the Lancer. There is enough to do to the Lancer to keep you entertained, but at the same time isn't a wallet buster. I agree with Jog in that the Evo 8/9 is the way to go... If you can find one. Depending on your area, it may be more difficult to find one that hasn't been abused or that isn't already pretty worked. I can get you an 03 Evo 8 with 450 whp and all top end parts for about 18K (over 10k in parts) and was taken care of. (I'd have bought it if it were avail 3 months prior to my getting the 09 GTS) But finds like that are rare. One thing of note about the Lancer GTS. It is a great car (I love mine) but the warranty is amazing! 100k miles. Mitsubishi did it right with their warranty. Read the reviews. Even Car and Driver gave it a good review and they are usually brutal.
    Good luck with your search!! Keep us posted on what you decide!

6. FrozenPhoenix

FrozenPhoenix Member

I definitely do want a Lancer as my daily driver. I want to stick with this newest body style though, because it just looks absolutely sexy. How are these cars when it comes to maintenance and reliability?

7. BlueDevilLancer

BlueDevilLancer Well-Known Member

if you want a bit more power without the crazy price tag, pick up a Ralliart Lancer. it comes AWD and turbo and for one that has about 20k miles you're looking at the same price as a new fully loaded Lancer GTS.

8. Jogenmaru

I forgot about the raliart. Thanks bdl

9. FrozenPhoenix

FrozenPhoenix Member

Yeah the Ralliart sounds perfect.

How does it differ from the Evo cosmetically?

I can see the different hood, bumpers, fenders, skirts? Are the quarter panels wider too?

10. FrozenPhoenix

FrozenPhoenix Member

Well I'm not sure about the bumper, it looks kind of different? Maybe I'm wrong?

11. FrozenPhoenix

FrozenPhoenix Member

Oh it looks like the Ralliart is not available with a standard manual transmission. . .

12. FrozenPhoenix

FrozenPhoenix Member

Looks like I'll have to save up for an Evo. I don't think it's worth the cost to get a standard lancer, turbo the engine, change the body, and still be left without AWD.

13. BlueDevilLancer

BlueDevilLancer Well-Known Member

if you want you can get a used GSR (5 spd) evo for under 30k. also, the ralliart shared the vented hood of the evo and that's really about it. the rest of the ralliart is based on the regular lancers (wheels, slim body, spoiler, side skirts, etc). it's got a unique rear and front bumper but that's really about it. your best bet for what you want is the GSR Evo

14. FrozenPhoenix

FrozenPhoenix Member

Yes bdl, it looks like the Evo gsr is the right choice. Thank you, and everyone else for the help and information. Looks like I'll start saving for an Evo.