lancer air flow

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Customization' started by sk13322, Apr 26, 2011.

1. sk13322

sk13322 Well-Known Member

2. aznboiultra

aznboiultra Well-Known Member

does it actually provide better air flow?

3. sk13322

bealive it or not i know alot of ppl do mods and say they feel it, but this once i noticed the most but i also got a ralliart intake duct and takeda sri with all these three mods the intake systems screams sounds so good and provide a lot of air this mod was very easy to do and i did notice some better air flow. changing to the ralliart duct helped alot.

4. Fuz1On

Fuz1On Well-Known Member

The best thing to do is to the remove the cover alltogether. Mine sits without that plastic piece and my whole engine bay gets more air. Not just the intake.​

Like this ---> mail2.jpg

I used to have the snorkel on but with the CF hood with scoop, there is no need. ​

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  5. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

I actually saw on some other site that having the OEM snorkel with an SRI dropped the intake air temp by about 12 degrees or so. If I still had my SRI on, I would rock the snorkel...and yes, I have seen people cut out that part of the plastic....they say it works.

6. DragnRidr85

DragnRidr85 Well-Known Member

if you take off the entire plastic, i agree the whole bay would get more air, but it would also just get a lot dirtier a lot faster no?

7. Fuz1On

Fuz1On Well-Known Member

Possibly, I have had it this way for about two weeks and my engine bay has stayed relatively the same way. Air still goes through the bottom part where the radiator is, dirt can still go around... especially when I'm driving 120mph. LOL. But it is safe to say that your inside might get dirtier when you start removing pieces. Like in the case of the hood I got, it is also safe to say that stuff like bugs and s$% will fly in there and dirty up the engine area... but it's worth it to me. For my car to be breathing better, pulling in cold air into my short ram really makes a difference. That is like putting a cold air and a short ram intake into one product. The low end tourque of having air closer to the source, and the top end power of having cold air going into that source. I get both with this setup... :D
    More air through the grill area. mail2.jpg
    More air through the hood scoop mail3.jpg and out the vents.

So if you look at the actual hood setup, its actually really well designed. While the hood's scoop is sucking up air, the hot air in the area is being sucked out by the vents. Kind of like a vaccum. Also, when you unrestrict the flow of air in the grill by removing the plastic piece, you are able to create continous airflow. Like for example, if you have a closed passenger side window and an open driver side window, you don't feel much airflow coming into the car. Now open both driver/passenger windows and you feel a huge difference in airflow. So by removing that plastic you ensure air coming in (and the scoop helps too of course) and the vents allow hot air to come out.

Either way, with or without the hood, removing the whole plastic piece makes a huge difference because more air comes into the bay thus making the temperature cooler, and cooler air that the intake sucks in makes the engine perform better.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  8. sk13322

the cover is put there and designed that way for the motor and rad. to share a certain amount of air and to keep the bay safe and clean. the only thing wrong with the cover is the lack of air flow so this mod works. if you like not having a cover great but i like mine on and with the mod.

9. Fuz1On

Fuz1On Well-Known Member

whatever works for you bro! All I know is that when driving 60+ miles per hour there is no shortage of air, regardless of the plastic on/off! The air goes in where it is able to go in. Last time I checked air isn't in shortage! I like the way your setup looks, though!

10. sk13322

yeah whatever works lol i love the hood does rain or snow get in the bay?

11. Fuz1On

Fuz1On Well-Known Member

Yea, the vents are all designed to help air come in/out, whenever it's raining I wouldn't worry about it because the rain just goes through and falls to the ground. The hood also comes with rain guards. Now whenever it's snowing and your driving I wouldn't worry about it because the snow hits the engine and the engine melts the snow so there's no issues there. The only problem I would see would be if it would be snowing and the car was parked but then I would just put either a car cover or park it somewhere underneath some cover. Maybe throw a sheet over the hood, lol. Whatever works! I live in Texas and it doesn't snow much here. This year it snowed like 4 days.

12. sk13322

yeah well i live in cny and we get hard winters which was the whole reason i traded in my spyder for a lancer lol but still would love to have that hood lol

13. Fuz1On

Fuz1On Well-Known Member

lol it could be yours for about 650! go online and look for Terminator GT (make sure that you ask for the GT version or else your gonna get a hood without the hoodscoop but with the side vents.)