Karan's 2008 Electric Blue GTS (K&N SRI Installed)

Discussion in 'Members Progress Reports' started by Karan, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Karan

Karan Well-Known Member

Karan's 2008 Electric Blue GTS (V-Lip Installed)

Some pictures of the car during her first month. So pretty much, completely stock. Here she is, sitting on the driveway.

(click thumbnails to view fullsize image)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Knowing how brutal the Edmonton winters are, and seeing how inadequate the stock Dunlops looked for winter driving, a change of rubber was required. Ended up going with a set of Bridgestone Blizzak WS60's mounted on some 16" steelies.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Next up, replaced the foglights with a set of Nokya Hyper Yellow's. Sidemarker and license plate bulbs replaced with white LED's.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Next up, were the lowbeams. Went with a 5000K 9006 from MobileHID.com. I couldnt do it myself since it needed some wiring to keep the DRL function.

From what the installer told me, he used a relay, which got triggered by the "accessory" line. I'm not sure exactly which circuit that is, but I assume it is the one which powers things like radio, mirrors etc. That circuit gets turned on when you turn the ignition on. Once that relay gets triggered, it in turn triggers the in-line relay which came with the kit. And ofcourse that relay activates the 12V circuit to the lights. They will be on whenever you are driving in this position ofcourse, but given the life of these bulbs I dont think that it will be a problem. So I guess overall I'm quite happy with the setup. Posting some pictures from before and after HID's to show a comparison. And also a video of them starting up. If anyone is wondering the foglights are Nokya Hyper Yellow 2500K and the parking lights are white LED's.

Box and contents
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Head-on shots
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Before/After projection on wall
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Video of the HIDs, parking lights and foglights starting up
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZBTb1AeWkU

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  2. spiderman671

spiderman671 Guest

looks great man.

3. JDM FLOW

JDM FLOW Well-Known Member

Very bright lights.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

nice

5. Nemo420

Nemo420 Well-Known Member

nice!

6. midunn

midunn Well-Known Member

Looks good bro, if I get my kit I might get you to hook me up with who did your install.

7. eKtor

eKtor Well-Known Member

To whoever deleted my post... i dont know wtf was wrong with it, but thanx! :roll:

8. Karan

Karan Well-Known Member

Hey thanks guys :)

Just took a couple more dusk pictures. I need to get me one of those DSLR camera's. :(

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. chetman7

chetman7 Well-Known Member

how do u turn on ur fogs w/o the headlights being on??

10. Karan

Karan Well-Known Member

Well I guess after the installation, the headlight switch doesnt affect the HID's anymore. So with the ignition off, I can put the switch on all the way, then the foglights. The car ofcourse thinks the headlights are on, but in reality that circuit isn't being used anymore.

11. chetman7

even wen my car is off...wen I turn my headlights on.....my HID's headlights turn on...that weird.
    If the headlight switch doesn't affect the HID's anymore...how do u turn them on??

12. eKtor

eKtor Well-Known Member

i read somewrere (PL it think) that they wired the relay to the ignition.. so if his ignition is not on, the hids wont turn on

13. chetman7

interesting.....so the HID's turn on automatically wen the car starts.

so their bootleg DRL's then

14. Karan

Karan Well-Known Member

Yeah that's right, cause I guess in your setup, the HID relay is being triggered by the parking lights which is controlled by the light switch.

In my case that relay is being triggered by the accessory line (things like mirrors, radio etc) which gets activated when you turn on the ignition. You're right it is kinda like a bootleg DRL. But it was the only way to go, and keep within the law. Cause the normal headlight circuit, would make the HID's strobe/flicker in DRL mode. :(

That foglights only scenario is kinda useless cause I can never have it while I'm driving lol Only when I'm parked with the ignition off. So its useless for pictures only, but otherwise useless.

15. Nemo420

Nemo420 Well-Known Member

why didnt you connect them to the parking lights? did you want to keep your drl's ??

i have no more drl's and i love it. i just connected the hid's to the parking lights and the hid's only go on when i switch the parking lights on.

16. Karan

Karan Well-Known Member

Yeah I would've liked to done that but out here its illegal to modify a car to have no DRL's. :?

17. Karan

Karan Well-Known Member

I didnt want to open a new thread for this but decided to change the highbeams tonight to Sylvania Silverstar Ultra 9005.

Thought I'd post a comparison if anyone was interested. Our stock highbeams are by Sylvania too but probably some generic base model judging by how much brighter the Ultra's are. Sure was one hell of a painful install. Its horribly cramped and that damn cap doesn't help either. Ended with several bleeding scraps on my hands bah. But probably the longest time was spent screwing and unscrewing the bulb, trying to get the aim right.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

18. JDM FLOW

JDM FLOW Well-Known Member

Why do you have your spare tire on?

Nice beams tho.

19. Karan

Karan Well-Known Member

Thanks bro :) Hehe those are just some 16" steelies I bought to mount the Bridgestone Blizzak's on for the winter here. I'm in Edmonton, Canada so the roads get pretty brutal here from December until April.

20. midunn

midunn Well-Known Member

Looks good Karan, I have the ultras right now in my low beams