Just thought I would share my issue. NWS

Discussion in 'Way Out There...' started by Conduct, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Conduct

Conduct Well-Known Member

So, I've been pulled over (never for speeding or traffic violations) about 5/6 times now for random things including tint exhaust ect.

Today takes the cake on ridiculousness though, I get pulled over, the guy asks me to step out of the car and says, have you done anything to the engine. Before I could answer he looks through my vented hood and saw the Injen logo on my intake. He just stops me mid-sentence and says, can you please pop the hood, after seeing that. Then once he takes a good long look, asks me, "is this thing on the bottle?" I said, no of course heh, then proceeded to ask all sorts of questions pretaining to me street racing, and if I was part of that culture.

Anyways back to the issue, I now have a ticket that I have to have Everything put back to stock, including such things as simple as a pully, and then get it signed off by some state exectutive officer, not an ordinary officer. He said they will do a top-to-bottom check of my engine and anything found not seemingly stock I basically will have the car impounded.

I personally find this all to be bullshit, so. should I try to fight this one? or what would you all do?

2. blacksheep818

blacksheep818 Well-Known Member

just to let you know you can't really fight something like that cuz its a fix it ticket and since you have to go to the the state ref it would be a harder issue to fight. i know cuz i got a ticket like that before

3. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

If you did not tell them about the pulley, leave the pulley. It is hidden pretty good. Same goes for the piggy. PM me, I might be able to help you out.

4. WildBill

WildBill Well-Known Member

My suggestion would be to lookup exactly what you are charged with for the ticket and to what extent the Law says is "illegal" as well as possible punishment for said offense. If you think that what you have does not fall under the statements and regulations, then do what he said to do. If you think that what you have DOES fall under the regulations and is not illegal, then print off paper work/manuals of the law you are charged with breaking as well as the aftermarket parts you have installed on your car. Basically, take a Saturday to do your research and build your evidence. That way when you fight it in court and let them do their "top to bottom" check, you can point out and differences and make your case on each as to why it is not illegal to have it.

Personally, this is one of those small reasons I am glad I live in Texas because we don't have gay modding laws like in Cali...no offense... :)

Bill

5. Conduct

we he actually noticed the pully and intake, the piggy is no longer on my car and such, but is the pully really illegal?

6. bras_33

7. MXlou

MXlou Well-Known Member

dooooooooood that sucks, oh well at least the ra is coming soon! 8)

8. Redline1

Redline1 Well-Known Member

i find all that to be bull, i mean really put the car back to stock. i dont live in cali but if the laws are so strick that you cant have an intake pully of exhaust thats really gay, that cop was a real prick

9. slipshft

slipshft Well-Known Member

Sounds like they have flagged your plates. Sort of like profiling. I agree that you should do your homework and fight it to the letter of the law. It was my understanding that parts that had CARB cert numbers were legal, but I don't live in CA any more so don't quote me on that one.

Good luck!

10. voidedwarrenties

voidedwarrenties Well-Known Member

Best bat look up your laws on what is a legal and illegal mod in your sity. If it is not illegal tell them to f off they have no right to tell you to remove something that is not illegal

11. RALLIART

RALLIART Well-Known Member

dude i know all the cool stuff is in cali, but move to sc.. at least you only will be bothered for loud system and may be tint.

12. Redline1

Redline1 Well-Known Member

ah the great sc . i love it here. hate to see it but my car has seen more mud then most trucks down here, my engine bay is covered. i wish i had pics. but yea laws are leniet down here, other then we cant tint tails or heads

13. Inferno

Inferno Active Member

Damn that sucks having to put it back to stock. I'm glad I live at the bottom of arizona we dont even have emisions checks down here because of all the vehicles that come from mexico.

14. tikki

tikki Well-Known Member

damn! i dint even know they could do that. now that would give me a reason to be thankful that i live in MO. :laughing6:

15. Conduct

Yeah, well so far I have to see a state referee, but I talked to a friend of mine who works in a smog station, and he said, "as long as the pcv is hooked up it would be fine." So, hopefully the referee will say the same and just carb approve it. I don't see why the Injen intake would be illegal, I just moved the filter technically, thats about it. As for writing me up on the RRM Pully, I find that just absurd. All that does is cost me less power to crank, since it weighs less. Anyways I'm taking this to get all checked out, and also going to fight what the officer has said.

I am also, as of now, making a tally and taking badge numbers of how many times I get pulled over, so as it stands I'm at 6... within less than two months.

I'll let everyone know how this all works out :wink:

16. SeRious08

SeRious08 Well-Known Member

Contact a lawyer and get a free consultation

17. Prophet

Prophet Well-Known Member

Don't tell the ref. about the pulley unless it is written down somewhere but even then he isn't going to know stock from aftermarket. I would just tell him you put the stock back on. No way he will be able to tell.

The intake is what is going to get you in trouble. If it doesn't have the CARB sticker on it and it isn't made specifically for your car and year then you will get dinged for that. I would just put the stock back on before you see him.

18. Prophet

Prophet Well-Known Member

And the ref. can also label your car a gross pollutant and then you are SOL...

19. Conduct

Well on the ticket, it says, Modified Intake + Pully, so I'm kinda screwed on that, but since the intake is Made for our car, and everything i hooked up properly I was assured by two smog technicians that my car Would, if needed will pass smog. I don't know what the Referee will say, but I'm just going to leave it on and see what happens, worst thing that will happen is I will have to take it off After the fact.

20. bras_33

TRUST, put everything back to stock. It will save you a lot of hassle from the courts. A guy I know was hard headed and did what you are saying, even tho it is CARB legal, and he had to go back and forth until the judge said ok. It was more of an inconvenience than anything and a costly. Plus since you being so young, the judge may make you as an example.