Intake Manifold

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by Conduct, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Conduct

Conduct Well-Known Member

right, so some friends and I just happen to notice that the Lancers intake manifolds are made of... plastic?

Just wondering if anyone plans on making a replacement for them out of something a little less... cheap? :wink:

2. SeRious08

SeRious08 Well-Known Member

Making intake manifolds out of this "plastic" is nothing new. Ford has been doing it for years. Even in the 90s.

I'm hoping RRM or another company produces a nice sort runner aluminum intake manifold. That I think would be killer in looks and performance.

3. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

yup. I'm waiting on one too. Can't stand looking at that thing. This is why the lancers engine doesn't piss me off. There's still plenty of things to do to this little 4banger

4. bf360

bf360 Well-Known Member

we def need a well designed intake, i think it would really help

5. SpeedI2acerX

SpeedI2acerX Active Member

i believe the evoX are made of aluminoommo

6. Payload

Payload Well-Known Member

its not so much that plastic is cheap but more that you cant do a twin TB conversion on a plastic manifold.. theres no where to stick the second TB onto. Also im not sure how well it would hold up against a turbo. Though with the evo comming out soon enough and the fact the engine is the same we will be able to just buy evo parts and stick them on. Also when the performance parts for the evo's start comming out they should all match up fine too.

7. Nemo420

Nemo420 Well-Known Member

i dunno, i heard the intake manifold was made of plastic for weight reduction and cost. to be honest, it doesnt seem to be much different than an alluminum one. sux to have a plastic one cuz of the fact if you want to match port your intake manifold with your intake ports on your head, you cant.

imo, alluminum intake manifold would be great for alot of reasons. cant wait to see one made!

8. SeRious08

Its holding up just fine for the Ford guys.

9. SeRious08

The Ford guys are having them ported and matched. That plastic is alot thicker than you think.

10. eg6motion

eg6motion Well-Known Member

plastic does not transfer heat like alloy eaither, keeping intake air temps lower than that of an alloy manifold.

11. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

so is this to say that there is a possibilty that this manifold can be worked- on and ported, as opposed to simply using a bigger ceramic intake manifold?