How To Install: Neon Underglow

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Knowledge Base' started by XxLaNcErGTSxX, Sep 28, 2008.

1. XxLaNcErGTSxX

XxLaNcErGTSxX Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to another one of my great how to's. Today I will be showing you on how to install neon underglow on your lancer. You will learn on where to place the tubes, howto run the wires, where to get power from, and place a switch in the switch panel. Now lets get started.

Tools needed:
    Phillips head screw driver
    Drill
    Wire Strippers
    Electrical Tape
    Solder Gun
    Dremal
    Switch
    Wire Ties

1st we will start from the rear and work our way to the front.

Place the rear tube like so. Drill 2 small pilot holes and attach the tube brackets.
    [​IMG]

2ed its time to run the wires. On the drivers side rear you will see this
    [​IMG]
    Attach the wire here with the wire ties

Up from that on the drivers side near the fuel tank you wll see this.
    [​IMG]
    Run you rear wire through that.

3ed, now its time to install the 2 side neon tubes. Drill 4 holes and place the tubes like so
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4th, on the drivers side you will see this running parallel with the exhaust piping. This is a good place to run your wires to the front of the car. Just wire tie them and you will be good.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4th, install the front neon tube. Place it like so, when you get underneath the car you will see where I am talking about
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Run the wires to the engine bay and ground the wires like so. This is the bracket above the ECU. I scuffed it up and then soldered it and taped it up
    [​IMG]

Run the ground wire through here for the switch. This is near the brake pedal and is a perfect place. You will want to run the wire out to the ECU bracket so that you can solder it to the other ground wires, or just tap one of the wires
    [​IMG]

5th, now its time to install the switch. Start by removing these 2 screws
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You are going to put alittle muscle into this and pull. Use the knee airbag to place your fingers underneath the panel so you can get a good grip. Once off remove the 3 screws that are holding the switch panel in place
    [​IMG]

Now for the hard part (well at least for me). To place a switch in here you will need to get your dremal and cut out the excess plastic. Then drill the hole and place the switch like so. I even used an old solder gun to burn some of the plastic
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now its time to get power. Where the fuse box is on the drivers side inside the car you will see this big red wire. Thats your power. Now I would suggest from you guys to just run power from your battery if your dont want to cut wires
    [​IMG]

Connect your hot and ground wires to the switch.
    Replace the panel and you are good to go.

I hope this How To helps all of you, and have a good night

2. LuvMyLancer

LuvMyLancer Well-Known Member

That's a good write up :)

But you definitely did it a lot harder way then how mine is hooked up. My underglow didn't take any tools to install other than a drill to get the tubes bolted :)