How to deactivate the DRL lights in lancer 09?

Discussion in '8G Lancer - General Information' started by electhrolite, Mar 9, 2009.

1. electhrolite

electhrolite New Member

How to deactivate the DRL lights in lancer 09? I checked to remove the DRL fuse, but to my surprise when I removed the fuse cover in the engine there was no fuse in the drl socket along with others general fuses that weren't there? any help please?

2. chileanpride06

chileanpride06 Well-Known Member

i am sure its the same way as the 2008 lancer, the drls and the low beams share the same wire, what you have to do i am not sure, unless you were adding HIDS, you would have to do some rewiring but just to turn off the drls, i dont know

3. crazy-alex

crazy-alex Active Member

If i were to add HID how would i remove the DRL?

4. XxLaNcErGTSxX

XxLaNcErGTSxX Well-Known Member

You PM me and I will tell you how to get rid of your DRLs

5. I Am God

I Am God Active Member

why not jus post it in here so we dont all have to PM u...?

6. sneakerhi

sneakerhi Well-Known Member

its probably splicing there is a drl bypass kit sold by a user over on 9GL pm me if you want the details

7. I Am God

I Am God Active Member

yea i know about that one..not clean enuf imo..theres also a write up on a relay bypass on evom, but the OP hasnt replied to my request for more details so im left hangin on that one like wtf...jus wonderin if u had another idea or more details about the relay bypass.

8. sneakerhi

hmm funkybeats's bypass is pretty legit doesnt look perfect yet but its good

saw him put it in looked inside no clutter
    took 5 minutes
    worked perfect

9. I Am God

I Am God Active Member

my main concern with it was shorting out cuz of water...cuz the spots where he welded were exposed...its been a while since ive seen the harness so im goin of shady memory, correct me if im wrong

10. sneakerhi

ohhh ok i see your concern haha i think he might have fixed it but im not sure

11. lordtygr

lordtygr Well-Known Member

Yeah, i found out the hard way, the drl's are controlled by the ECU directly. i ended up installing HID's with a ballast that is built to work with the DRL's so i dont have to use any splices or bypasses.

12. MonChi

MonChi Well-Known Member

sneak i pm'd you

13. manolin

manolin New Member

There is a way of doing it, maybe there is also a way to bypass the computer signal but until somebody finds how to do it, I found a way around it.

All you have to do is find the cable that runs the signal to the relay (Field effect transistor) that controls the low lights.
    That wire is on the fuse box inside the car. Simply cut that wire and connect it to a switch with its other terminal connected to ground. And you got it.

Pros: Inexpensive.
    You will have no flikering problem with your HID's.
    You can install an HID kit to your fog lights.
    You can turn on your fog lights without the need to turn on your low lights.
    Will not affect anything.

Cons: You will have to flip a separate switch to turn on your low ligths.
    The car computer will not advise you if you leave your lights on.
    Your low light switch will be disabled.

Materials:
    About 30 inches (or more) of wire (18 to 24 gauge will work).
    One automotive switch (any low amp switch will work since this is a low current circuit).

Instructions:

Start by removing the cover under the steering wheel by removing two screws on the bottom corners; beware that the cover surrounds the knee airbag that will stay in its position. Then pull the cover towards the driver seat (it’s a little tricky). Also there are two connectors on the back of that cover, disconnect them by pressing the locking tabs and pulling. Put the cover away.

Now you have a clear view of the fuse box.

Locate a connector which is on the bottom of that fuse box. It has 16 wires so look for a harness that comes from the bottom part of that fuse box.
    Once located, pull the connector down at the same time depress the locking tab which is on the back of the connector in the center towards the front of the car. It takes some time and effort to pull this, so take your time.

With the connector out observe that it has two rows of cables. The row with the locking tab has 3 cables on one side, the cable on the center which is violet is our cable.
    Again is a violet cable you can't miss it (is the only violet cable).

Cut that cable leaving a little bit more than one inch to the connector side, in case you or someone wants to reverse the whole thing it will be easier to repair.
    Now use the other end of the cable (the one which is not connected to the connector). Strip and test that cable by touching a metal part of the car. Your low lights should come on, if not you got the wrong end. Solder or hook up 15 inches (or more) of wire to that end and run this wire to a switch. Connect back the connector on the bottom of the fuse box.

Connect another 15 inches (or more) of wire to ground. Loose the 12mm bolt on the corner of the metal frame that supports the plastic cover you removed earlier. Use that bolt to attach the ground cable. Run and connect the other end of this ground cable to the other switch position. Test by flipping the switch. Your lights should come on. If not check the connections.

Now depending on the type of switch you got and where you plan to place it is the length of the wires. I found a nice spot in that plastic cover. You could either make a hole to that cover or use one of the three switch locations on that cover. I used the one on the left. I made a hole to that plastic piece (switch dummy) and placed my switch there.

After fixing the switch, get the plastic cover and connect the two connectors to any of the switch dummies. Put the plastic cover very close to its position assuring that all its plastic tabs will fit at the same time. Make hand pressure around and finish with the screws.

Turn your motor on and lower the e-brake, have someone to look at your lights (DRL's are part of the past).

If everything is ok your DRL's are gone. Now you only have to flip this switch and that’s it. You can now install a HID kit with no flickering problem. Also you can now turn on your factory fog lights without the low lights if you want.

You have to be aware that now your car's computer is not going to advise you if you leave your lights on. Also your low light switch will be disable!

Again, this is not the perfect remedy for getting rid of the DRL's but I think it’s better than using a relay hooked up to your parking lights (you will not be able to use your parking lights). Also is better than switching the fog lights to the low lights (or having your fog lights as DRL’s) if you are planning to convert them to HID as well.

I did this to my 09 GTS and works great. I wanted to share it here with everyone. Feel free to ask and forgive my errors if any.

14. deesport

deesport Well-Known Member

Easier just to go and get the bypass.
    That is what I did. Not from 9glancer though. Got mine from a local tuning shop around my neighborhood. Cost me about the same amount.