How To: CVT Shift Boot

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Knowledge Base' started by young_blood, May 16, 2009.

1. young_blood

young_blood Well-Known Member

Hey everyone, I've seen many people asking how to put a shift boot on a CVT to make it look better. I decided to finally respond to everyone's requests and make a step by step how to for you all. The most important part is to be careful and have patience.

First for the supplies you will need: (scissors, phillips head screwdriver, shift boot of your choice)
    [​IMG]

Step-By-Step
    1. This is how your center console will look
    [​IMG]

2. Open your armrest
    [​IMG]

3. Firmly grip middle of center console by the cup holders and pull the section off. It is held by 4 clips so it will take some effort but just be careful and pull straight up if possible as to not break any clips. The clips are very strong. Dont be scared :D
    [​IMG]

4. Now this is what your center console will look like.
    [​IMG]

5. Now by the CVT shifter there will be two screws to unscrew. As you can see I already have one that I had taken out.
    [​IMG]

6. Once the screws are undone grip the front of the piece as shown and gently pull it up ad towards you working it out carefully as shown and it will come off but wires will be connected to the lighter so be very careful.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. As you can see I needed to cut a small piece of my shift boot to make it fit properly but don’t worry this wont be seen by anyone.
    [​IMG]

8. Next put the shift boot over your shifter and work it down over the CVT gear box leaving as little or as much slack as you want to be seen. The next three pictures will show this.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Next put the piece surrounding your CVT gear box back on and put the screws back in.
    [​IMG]

10. Finally align the middle piece and press the middle console back into place.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Final Product:
    [​IMG]

2. Keeeent

Keeeent Well-Known Member

Fsho, thanks. Did you cut the bottom or the top or the boot?

3. young_blood

Bottom of the boot. The top of mine has a tie thing to tighten it.

4. Keeeent

Keeeent Well-Known Member

Where did you get the boot

5. young_blood

Mine is a pretty crappy one. I got it for like $8 bucks at advance auto parts. The nicer the shift boot is, the nicer it'll look.

6. Bouss07

Bouss07 Well-Known Member

looks great my next project :)

7. dudejman05

dudejman05 Guest

ah you got me! I thought you had a 5speed, thats why I asked lol. oh well probably same concept right?

8. deesport

deesport Well-Known Member

Perfect post!

This is exactly what I was looking for :)

+

9. young_blood

Huh?

Deesport - Glad I can be of help. There were several people asking how I did it so I figurede it would just be easier to post a How To rather than send everything through PM

10. deesport

deesport Well-Known Member

Definatly a smart move :)

Again, Thank you very much. Great How-To!