hid/rain/cold problem

Discussion in 'Audio, Security and Electronics' started by injentech, Jan 20, 2010.

1. injentech

injentech Active Member

ok so i was asleep at 9pm then my brother told me my lights where on from my car, i was like uh no they're not, anywho i go to the car, and sure enough my HIDs where on. the funny thing is that the thing that clicks to turn on your headlights, where in the OFF position. so i turned the switch twice, then back again to OFF. they turned off. i turned my car on to make sure the battery was still charged. ok we're good.
    the next morning at 330 i tried turning my lights on, and they wouldnt turn on! i kept turning the switch back and forth from OFF to ON. untill like a min later they finally turned on.... but gues what. my car didnt turn on. the battery was 95% dead. i was able to turn my car on after pressing the gas pedal, and after numerous attempts to turn my car on

cliff notes:
    one night my HID headlights turned on for no reason, drained my battery and car almost didnt turn on.
    today early morning my lights would not turn on. after a min and numerous times of turning the switch they finally turned on. WTF is goin on? is it too cold that they wont turn on? this has not ever happened before, thats why i mention the cold/rain. also why did my lights turn on by themselves? thanks for any help fellow Mitsu owners

2. 1slowlance

1slowlance Well-Known Member

I have never heard of this happening EVER. This really doesn't make any sense. I myself have had experience with HIDs over 3 years on my car. And friends of mine have had them for their cars this time as well. No one I have ever known with HIDs has had a problem with rain or cold. Most HID kits are waterproof, so that's not your problem. And I don't see how the cold could affect them.

3. injentech

injentech Active Member

thats what im saying. my lights were on though, and the switch was (obviously) off. interesting... also why my HIDs would not turn on after my first attempt. took like 15 clicks back and forth for them to turn on. anyone else have any feedback/info?

4. 1slowlance

1slowlance Well-Known Member

I know one time, I left my headlights on the "on" position overnight when I had HIDs, and I got in my car in the morning and started it, and didn't realize they were on. Then, I saw the reflection in the car in front of me, and was like wtf?!? I turned them off then back on, and thy worked fine. Idk. That's the only instance I have personally where my HIDs didn't work in any way. Is all your wiring correct?

5. injentech

injentech Active Member

yea everything is good, i even have a stupid relay that doesnt work. my main thing is how the hell the lights turned on by themselves, again it only happened recently (when it started raining) never happened before :cry: hmmm

6. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

Could be short in the headlight switch. I had that happen in my old truck.

7. injentech

injentech Active Member

: ( my cars new. 2010

8. ChadD_OZ

ChadD_OZ Well-Known Member

My lights automatically turn off when i take my keys out and open my door. but the nagain i have an 03, i dont know shit about the new lancers. lol. but ive had HIDs for years and never a problem, or heard anything remotely close to what your experiencing. It must be a faulty ballast or something, since your car is a 2010.