hearing metal cracking/slamming

Discussion in '8G Lancer - General Information' started by aznboiultra, Oct 15, 2011.

1. aznboiultra

aznboiultra Well-Known Member

Just this monday I was driving on the freeway/highway, I was driving up a slope and was changing lane. While I was changing lane I heard a loud cracking sound or metal slamming metal sound under my car on the left rear tire area. Later on I check under the car and everything looks ok and nothing is wrong. What could have caused the sound? I know its not rocks, because it didnt sound like rocks.

2. JDMhammer

JDMhammer Well-Known Member

Id make sure no bolts are missing and nothing is loose. Try and get it up on a lift if you can.

Also maybe you left a tool under the hood? (Scotty drove to va beach from ct with a screw driver sitting on his air box lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. 1slowlance

1slowlance Well-Known Member

Have you driven since and heard it? Or was it just that one time?

4. aznboiultra

hahaha wow, alright i'll check to for loose bolts this weekend

It was a one time thing, after the left lane change it the noise stop

5. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

Have you done any mods to the swaybar/perches? When I changes my OEM peaches to the progress set, I snapped an endlink. E erything looked fine until I lifted the car to rotate tires...that's when I saw it was separated.

6. slickdevil08

slickdevil08 Well-Known Member

i would say since i see you have headers make sure none of the bolts are missing or have snapped. sometimes the header can shake so much that it hits the cat shield under the car creating noise

7. aznboiultra

I dont have the header yet, the car is still stock right now lol, the first 2 parts is not here yet. I already had a friend did a full check under the car for me, he said there is nothing broken or loose. So the only thing I can assume is I must had ran over a small piece of metal and that bounce around under the car when I was changing lane.

8. 1slowlance

1slowlance Well-Known Member

If you don't see anything underneath that looks out of place, that is probably the most likely thing.