head unit not working, WHY?

Discussion in 'Audio, Security and Electronics' started by Billcore, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Billcore

Billcore New Member

Hey all,

*I have a huge problem, if you know your car audio please take the time to read* ( i couldn't write this in the subject line as per the rules, but Please somebody I'm at a loss here and need help desperately )

Just so you know, I know my audio systems, I've never had a problem like this,

I have a big problem, I installed aftermarket speakers (4) and the amp to go with it in my friends 08 Mitsubishi lancer (using the stock navi head unit w/o the Rockford system). He already had a sub and the amp to power it installed, all using a hi/lo converter. Now the sub was installed sub par, the remote wire was just stuck in the fuse block with the fuse holding it in, the fire wall chaffed the lining off exposing the wire, i wrapped it back up with tape, but it already blew the 100A fuse that was hooked to it when i moved the wire to look at it (i forgot to unhook the battery, but quickly did after this,....i hooked the hi/lo coming out of the H/U with the other one running the sub. Now for my problem, i hooked up the amp to the battery (2 power wires running from batt to amps) but coming off 1 lead, using the 100A fuse because both amps call for 50A, (the guy just hooked up 100A to the sub alone)...after running all the wiring, and hooking up the speakers, grounded everything, everything seemed perfect. I turned the car on, the h/u came on but the amps did not.. i checked the power with my tester light and the power was all good, the remote wasn't though (i ran my remote line from the existing amp to the new amp)...i turned the car off and traced back where the existing remote wire was ran to and that's when I discovered it was just held with the fuse, but it wasn't in, (i guess from when i was running one of the other wires, it was not held in all that great), so i said forget it, it was working like that so i just hooked it back as it was, thinking everything would be good. Hooked battery back up started car, h/u came on, amps didn't, tested and got nothing at the remote, the 15A fuse blew, so i replaced the fuse using the cigarette lighter fuse cuz i didn't have any at the moment. Hooked battery back up, turned car on, and nothing but another blown fuse...at this time we didn't know what was going on, we found out we didn't hook up the harness that goes to the airbag and hazard bar below the unit, so we hooked that up (but left out the remote cuz i thought maybe that was the problem). I then used the hazards fuse, hooked up battery, turned the car on and now the h/u didn't even turn on, no blown fuse, (just 2 missing, everything else turned on and the hazards worked, so i dunno if maybe the fuse i took was the problem (the fuse symbol was the triangles that looked like the hazards sign) so i replaced that fuse with the dome light fuse, tried again and nothing...put back the fuse i took from the dome light and tested the fuse block for the h/u and there was power, so i used a paper clip as a jumper for the radio (hoping missing fuses were a problem, although i really didn't think that was it, cuz the light showed there was power....and the head unit STILL DIDN'T TURN ON....i looked at all the connections behind the h/u and they were hooked up....at this point i was embarrassed and wized, I've hooked up at least 10 full systems and a boat load of just a sub here or speakers there and ALWAYS got em working (I take pride in my work, and always always get anything i install to not only work, but tuned to sound great!). Like I said before, I know what I'm doing but now i cannot figure out whats wrong, I troubleshot everything I could think of but the dammed H/U will not turn on despite power at the fuse block. I don't wanna hook up the remote now until this is fixed.

So here's the questions, is there a safe mode? (even tho i have unhooked the battery many times and it always turned on) ...is there an internal fuse in the h/u( there wasn't one in the back),... can the unit be blown? (how could it have been, and i hope to hell its not)...does ANYONE out there know what's wrong and what caused this?.....I really don't wanna have to pay this kid 1000 bucks or whatever the stock h/u is worth after I spent 6 hours busting my ass on this system ......

Please please PLEASE i hope someone knows what the hell happened I feel like such an A-hole, esp after i spent 6 hours doing everything right and correcting the other guys work ....

So to anyone that can shed light on this I thank you in advance and you'll always know someone out there thinks your a hero

2. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

Im not too much of an expert on this and I know you asked for someone that knows what he is talking about, but just for shits and giggles replace all fuses and try it oem without the amps and subs. Im sure you have already done this but I dont think you said you have in the post. If it works then you have a grounding issue with your setup. If it doesnt work try to replace it with another radio unit for a test if you have one laying around. I had a similar issue with my 89 camry a few years back. The wiring setup was exactly the opposite of what it was supposed to be for the power, ground, remote, etc.

My personal favorite I had to try once was use an external power source for it all just to make sure it was connected/operational. All you need is one speaker from a home surround unit, a battery to power the h/u, something to ground to. I dont have a how to guide considering it was 9 years ago and I was 15. So experiment with a different radio unit first with the oem hookup with all new fuses. If it doesnt work its a wiring/grounding issue in the car. If the unit does work then try it with the amps and subs to make sure. After that I'm not really sure unless I was there to see the setup.

Im no expert but I try to help as best I can with the little knowlegde I own. If im speaking nonsense or riddles or you think I have no clue what im talking about then by all means let me know.

3. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

Did you get this to work/figure it out?

4. Redline1

Redline1 Well-Known Member

yes it sounds alot like a grounding issue