Front Motor Mount Install w/ Poly Bushing

Discussion in 'DIY' started by lancer2quick, Apr 21, 2011.

1. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

Well, I came across a front motor mount from an Evo with a Powerflex poly bushing installed....and picked it up for the R/A. The car has 119600 miles on her, and I haven't changed the mounts before...so I figured it was time. After I pulled the stock mount, I am REALLY glad that I picked this up....it wouldn't have held much longer. Here's the How to for changing the front mount...

[​IMG]

Tools Needed

14mm and 17mm sockets, 3in extension and ratchet
    14mm Wrench (or second ratchet)

Put the car on jackstands high enough to reach the rear bolt for the subframe. Remove undertray plastics by unscrewing all pop tabs and then use a jack or a stand to support the motor before you remove the front motor mount.

Using a 14mm Socket and Ratchet remove the three bolts holding in the crossbar.

Using the 14mm Socket, Ratchet and Extension in conjunction with 14mm Wrench remove bolt in center of motor mount.

Remove front two bolts with 17mm Socket and Ratchet.

Remove the rear bolt with a 17mm Socket and Rachet. This is the last bolt that needs to be removed before the motor mount can be taken off the car.

Now that you have the subframe off the car there are two more bolts to remove. Using the 14mm Socket, Ratchet and Extension remove the two bolts holding the motor mount to the subframe. Make sure you note which way the motor mount came off the subframe as you will have to install it in the same orientation.

OLD:
    [​IMG]
    NEW:
    [​IMG]

Remount the motor mount to the subframe. Make sure you face the motor mount in the correct orientation as you had removed it. There is a square hole in the lower part of the mount that should be toward the FRONT of the car.

In reverse start screwing in all the bolts. Don’t tighten them fully just make them snug. You may need a second person to help you line up all the holes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The first thing that I noticed was more vibration through the dash and steering wheel at startup...nothing too terrible, but noticeable. There will be more vibration through the steering wheel at idle, but only I can feel it...no one in the passenger seat can tell a difference.

After taking her for a drive, the difference is VERY clear. Smoother shifting, no wheel hop on hard acceleration, less jarring when getting on and off the throttle while cruising. I love it.

Sorry for not taking better pics, but when you have a 2 year old running around trying to "fix it" with you...you tend to forget the pics. I have taken a couple from various sources to show a little more detail....