Clunking noise

Discussion in '8G Lancer - General Information' started by Bigtime30, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Bigtime30

Bigtime30 Member

:\ I just purchased an 08 lancer gts. I love the car and feel it has alot of potental. I do how ever have a couple of concerns. Not long after I got the car, I noticed a clunking noise in the car when shifting the car fron 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. I also hear a clunking noise in the rear when I go over bumps or hit evan small pot holes. Some times I hear the same noise when I shift. Now The dealership has looked at the car twice and said they can not hear any thing and that their is no problem. Has any one else experienced this same problem or have any idea what might the problem be. Thanks for any advise.

2. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

It could be any number of things. My first suggestion would to be to get under the car and check everything out. Go through and "nut and bolt" it...just make sure everything is tight.
    My second thought is a broken motor mount. if the motor is hitting the firewall, the banging can sound like its coming from the rear sometimes...

3. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

I was thinking one of his exhaust hangers might not be on and its causing the exhaust to hit something during rough shifts or potholes.

4. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

^^word...I didn't even think about that...and my car used to do it...lol

5. Sinestra

Sinestra Well-Known Member

+1 thats happen to me before

6. Bigtime30

Bigtime30 Member

Thanks for the input I have checked the hangers and every thing is in order. But I gues I should get under the car and do 100 point inspection. I never thaught to check the mounts, thanx. Gives me a little rpoject on sunday. I will keep you all posted.

7. Jogenmaru

no problem that's what we are here for.

8. Bigtime30

Bigtime30 Member

Update! I fianally had a chance to get under the car, and to my surprise, I found not a thing wrong after a good hou and a half under the car. Checked the motor mts, fine. So after getting a little frustrated, I took the car back to the dealership I gotr the car from. The did a very clos inspection of the car and did not find a thing. HMMMMMM. Talked with the service guy and he said he talked to his brother, a fellow lancer owner and he told him in lamens terms. Deal with it, it is a mitsu. It is just one of the many great personalitys of a lancer. Well until it falls aprt The world will nver know.

9. Jogenmaru

I have a quick question. You say it is a 2008 model. So has there been any adjustments to the suspension. Was the car new or used. IF it was used then someone might have changed the suspension in it. such as springs. If that's the case mitsu will not warranty this. That is most likely why they are giving you a hard time. No dealer should tell you to "deal with it" cuz its a mitsu. Hopefully it's not anything major but I would take it to another mitsu dealer and see what they say. Also, is it under a warranty?

10. Bigtime30

Bigtime30 Member

It is still under warranty, and yes I did buy it used. But I do know the car was female owened but very thing is stock. I had this problem once with another car. Now what I am about to say might seem goofy but, I had a friend drive the car and I was in the trunk listening and had my head out the trunk and I nailed the problem. I just might have to do it again.

11. Jogenmaru

LOL. Me and my friend did that when we went and bought his civic. I was in the trunk while he made left turns. It only happened when he made a left turn. I thought it was funny. It turned out being that his passenger rear spring wasn't seated properly.