1. can someone explain to me what a cel is, or what you meen by your car throwing a cel. from what i can understand it is somthing like the check engine light coming on. what is the cause of this and is it bad to have

2. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

C. E. L.
    h n i
    e g g
    c i h
    k n t
    e

Pretty self explanatory. Anything that makes your engine light come on is a cel. Go to an autoparts store and see if they will check it for you. They will tell you what the code is and what it means.

P0120 means failure in your second 02 sensor.

3. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

Yeah, its just telling you that something isn't working right....

4. i am reading on here that some intakes are making the check engine light come on. what is the cause of that?

5. LiX

LiX Well-Known Member

Running lean, because of increased air flow, so the ECU can't compensate and throws CEL. Can be eliminated with ECU remap.

6. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

CEL is short for celphone...

anything can throw a cel, not necessarily the intake does it...its usually has to do with some type of emissions. not really sure what your car is or how its modified. you have to be more specific...

7. Belgaram

Belgaram Well-Known Member

Mine just came on ::sigh:: Runs a little sluggish.. I had the RRM Ram Air done, ran fine. Just had the headers put on and within a day or 2 the CEL or "Service Engine Soon" came on. Probably after 100-150 miles. I'm gonna guess (hope) it's just running lean and that it just needs a remap.

8. dirtylilhonda

dirtylilhonda Well-Known Member

no sure where everything is quite yet cause i just got mine but did you make sure all of your o2 sensor and stuff are hooked up on your exhaust? i cant imagine why a header alone will make it throw a cel. the intake i can see but not the header. id just double check everything, it cant hurt.

9. lancer2quick

there have been a few issues with new parts throwing a CEl on the new lancers. On the headers, ther are a couple members that have the CEL come on every 200 or so miles. Jacob had that problem, and just kept clearing it until the hyperground kit I made him kept it from coming on (at least we think that's what did it). I don't know if its manufacturer specfic, or its with all aftermarket headers.....

10. lancer2quick

there have been a few issues with new parts throwing a CEl on the new lancers. On the headers, ther are a couple members that have the CEL come on every 200 or so miles. Jacob had that problem, and just kept clearing it until the hyperground kit I made him kept it from coming on (at least we think that's what did it). I don't know if its manufacturer specfic, or its with all aftermarket headers.....

11. dirtylilhonda

wow i didnt think a header would do that... i stand corrected. i wonder what would make it throw a code? as long as all the sensors are working properly you wouldnt think that a better exhaust flow would throw a cel. hmmmmmm i dunno

12. Belgaram

It miraculously disappeared.... And hasnt come back yet.. Gremlins!

13. dirtylilhonda

interesting...... well keep us posted cause id like to know if there are any problems. i will be putting a sri and hopefully some sort of exhaust on my gts sooner or later.

14. Belgaram

Well... Its been a few days since I got it and it went away... here's kind of what I'm thinking... I had to replace a tire stem at Pep Boys and they didnt have the means to reset the sensor. SO.. I took it over to NTB for them to reset it. They couldn't reset the code, and it was on my way home from there that I noticed the CEL was lit. I am guessing that when they tried to reset the code, they threw my system into a CEL somehow and it just reset it's self after sitting for a few hours. I'm just hypothesizing here, but thats how it seems to have happened.