CEL going on and off

Discussion in '8G Lancer - General Information' started by Bigtime30, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Bigtime30

Bigtime30 Member

:\ My 08 gts cel keeps going on and off. I have had it hooked up twice but it does not come up with any codes. Any one else have this problem or know what it is

2. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

You need a data logger. So when it shows up it is logged. Most of the time when the light flashes on and off it means you have knock in your engine. But that really only applies to turbo'd engines. Well I've only seen turbo'd engines give these symptoms. It's mostly for running tooooo lean.

3. Bigtime30

Bigtime30 Member

This is what is going on, on top of the CEL. When the car is sitting idle it stalls. I t does not matter if i have just stoped after using the car Or I started it and it has been running for thirty seconds. It also happens some times when I start the car a split second after it is started. Then the car is difficult to start. Then some times the car is hard to start.

4. Belgaram

Belgaram Well-Known Member

I'm no mechanic for sure but doesn't that sound like a fuel filter problem?

5. Bigtime30

Bigtime30 Member

Could be, but I was think'n more like a sencor.

6. 1slowlance

1slowlance Well-Known Member

I don't think that would be a sensor. I'd take the car to Autozone and get them to plug in and do a diagnostics test, or go buy one for yourself. They're always nice to have. Will it kill if you rev it up over idle rpms?

7. Bigtime30

Bigtime30 Member

No it does not stall when I rev it, but I have been thinking about the hole fuel filter and the more I think about it, the more it sounds like the problem. I meen with the symptoms it very well could be. The idle is a little funny, It is hard to turn over or start, and the engine not getting fuel the way it should could cause the C.E.L.

8. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

Did you goto to autozone and get the cel checked out for free so they can tell you whats wrong? After that report back to us and we can help yo find a fix if its not an obvious one. What city/state do you stay in. I can help you find the closest autozone next to you if you dont know where one is. And if you stay here in va close to me i can bring my little tool and give you a free diagnostic of your code(s).

9. Bigtime30

Bigtime30 Member

Thats the thing I have had It Put on a diognostic what ever 4 times when the light is on and still it does not come up with any codes. I have been to the dealer ship twice and to advanced auto parts twice and still nothing. It is like the the enigma, How many licks does it take to get to the center of tootsi pop. The world may never know. Well I may not know by having it hooked up every time the light comes on.

10. Sinestra

Sinestra Well-Known Member

Have you checked your gas cap to make sure its not lose or damaged?