CARpc BASIC STEP bt STEP ... FEEL FREE TO ASK QUESTIONS !!!!

Discussion in 'Audio, Security and Electronics' started by shieldwolf342, Jun 16, 2010.

1. shieldwolf342

shieldwolf342 Well-Known Member

CARpc BASIC Starting info.

ITS FINALLY DONE!!!!!!.....but alas you all would like install pics so ill get those soon.

First off What I used in my project.
    Computer: Zotac MAG PC - Here
    LCD Screen: Lilliput 7" Touchscreen USB LCD -HERE
    Keyboard/Mouse: Lenovo Multimedia Remote -HERE
    Power Source: Belkin F5L003 Universal Auto/Air Adapter

Radio Relocate Panel 7th Gen Lancer:
    OEM part #MZ598263EX which is the full Install Kit
    OR
    OEM part #MR626799 Panel+instrument

I recommend the Panel + Instrument for those who already have an aftermarket SINGLE DIN stereo and full kit for those who dont.
    MISC:
    Momentary switch,soldering iron,and 12 gauge wire.
    1- power inverter to run PC
    Software
    I recommend using RideRunner, with winamp and k-lite codecs installed on the computer. The OS and other apps are at your discretion.

Ok so why did I choose what I did.
    Easy Personally I had 2 of the 3 in the house already. More on this in specifics.

GETTING EVERYTHING TOGETHER:

STEP 1 : Find a usable computer
    This is where preference begins. I chose the Zotac MAG because I already had one AND it fits perfect behind the screen where the factory deck used to be..... but you can use just about any computer that you can think of. BUT I recommend staying with either a Small Laptop without a screen or any one of the other Micro Desktop PCs....ex. Acer Apire Revo, Asus EEEBox ect.
    Why would you chose a micro pc well simple power source. This allows you to use something simple as an inverter to power the computer without spending an arm and a leg. Why a laptop with out a screen? Well size. Most of the netbooks are very small and light weight and You have a primary keyboard if ever needed.

STEP 2: LCD Screen

I ended up with the Lilliput UM-70/C/T Monitor and I am very happy with it but any 7" LCD fits very nicely or you can even go larger with more modification to the dash.

STEP 3: Radio Relocation.

I only have experience with 7th Gen lancers but as long as you can find a usable radio relocate your good.

Radio Relocate Panel for 7th Gen Lancer:
    OEM part #MZ598263EX which is the full Install Kit
    OR
    OEM part #MR626799 Panel+instrument

STEP 4: Gather whatever else you may need.
    Simple enough so I'm not going to elaborate but you should be able to figure out odds and ends.
    For power I ended up using the Belkin F5L003 Universal Auto/Air Adapter as it is light and has universal tips for just about any mini computer/laptop.

STEP 5: Prep the computer.

This comes down to preference once again. There are skins for Windows the most popular being Ride Runner. I recommend using the Digital FX skin found here
    Install any software you are going to use on the PC before installing into the car as much as possible this will save you time and effort later on when its crammed into the car and software installs arent as simple trust me.
    Secondly I recommend for boot speeds setting bios to speed up boot times as well as tweaking your OS to boot faster. There are also ways to speed up shutdown. MY current times are 50 seconds for full boot to skin and 15 seconds for complete shutdown

STEP 6: INSTALL PREP

First off I had to relocate my radio so I did that and it took me about 30 min if that.
    After relocating your radio take the time to familarize yourself with what you have. In my case I cut the factory dash panel and removed the two clips that originally held it in place along the top to later add the the LCD panel....I'll post pictures soon of this specifically.

STEP 7: INSTALL
    DISCLAIMER: THIS IS MY PERSONAL INSTALL AND I HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH ELECTRONICS IF YOU DO NOT FEEL COMFORTABLE DOING ANYTHING EITHER FIND SOMEONE WHO IS OR PLEASE FIND ANOTHER WAY TO DO IT.

COMING SOON

STEP 8: TEST

Gotta make sure it works so go for it boot it up run a few programs, play some music, a movie whatever.

Congrats you have set up a basic CARpc Feel free to ask tons of questions.

NOW FOR PICS AND VIDEOS to come soon.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52683293@N02/

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  2. shieldwolf342

BTW total thing cost me about 500 for this kind of setup.

3. timschoeliertm

timschoeliertm Well-Known Member

nice write up, but what exactly does this do? does it tune your car? or is it just a computer? does it have internet?

4. shieldwolf342

Currently I'm getting internet thur tethering my cell phone and it could be used to tune if I choose to. Get a gps receiver and I have a gps ect its versatile but right now its more media than anything at the moment

5. timschoeliertm

timschoeliertm Well-Known Member

alright, thats pretty ligit then, i might head out to regal on friday, you should come

6. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

How does it hold up against a bumpy road? I have quite a few of those here in VA. I want to use this idea as a tuning and multimedia option. And I like the idea of a laptop instead of a full pc like a desktop. Unfortunately for me I like doing things big. So Im going to do a full size tower in the back with liquid cooling and air cooling for the memory and hard drives.

7. shieldwolf342

so far Jogenmaru its held up pretty well I dont drive crazy back roads but its held pretty well so far the biggest thing with bumps in a set up like this to worry about is the hard drive but a SSD would eliminate any issues and insulating a regular HDD will help lengthen the life.

THE WRITE UP HAS BEEN EDITED FEEL FREE TO READ IT OVER FOR A FEW MORE SPECIFICS FULL INSTALL DETAILS TO COME SOON DONT WORRY.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  8. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

if you ever make this detailed I can move it to the DIY thread area.