Block Heater?

Discussion in '8G Lancer - General Information' started by T-rev, Dec 10, 2008.

1. T-rev

T-rev Member

I'm from Canada and as you all know it gets pretty cold up here, and i was wondering has anyone gotten the block heater installed on there lancer? For those of you who had the lancer last winter did it start alright in extremely cold weather? The dealership told me it would cost around $250 to install one and i wanna make sure i need it before buying it. Thanks!

2. DragnRidr85

DragnRidr85 Well-Known Member

mine started just fine all through last winter. Of course, i'm not from Canada. I'm in New Jersey but it gets rather cold in the heart of winter here too. Just not as much snow.

3. LuvMyLancer

LuvMyLancer Well-Known Member

I don't have a block heater and my car started fine last year and so far this year.

4. MTLGTS08

MTLGTS08 Member

I'm from Montreal .. no problem at all last winter .. no block heater .. not planing to instal one 2. :wink:

5. T-rev

T-rev Member

Thanks for the input. I'm not going to install one unless i have problems. I know my old 91 mustang wouldn't have survived without one but i guess the lancer does!

6. Karan

Karan Well-Known Member

I've got a block heater, got it installed when I bought the car. Although I havent had to use it yet, as I use synthetic oil. And thats after temperatures as low as -35C on some days.

7. illdietrying

illdietrying Well-Known Member

no problems so far with mine, this morning it was -26 C and the wind is -41 C and no prob at all with starting

8. DuoMax

DuoMax Member

damn...when i bought my car, i asked for a block heater but they told me they dont have it cuz it was built for canadian weather and it will start in -30 no problem..... but now it wont start with my car starter =( i really want a block heater, so my baby doesnt die. =(

9. sunstealth

sunstealth Well-Known Member

im from blainville,quebec (30/40 km north of montreal)
    i had no problem last year but this yeah im starting to have slow crank issues with the car (battery is dying and its like the only part not covered by the garantee :( ) i think i will get a battery heater of a block heater soon

running OW20 syntech btw

10. DaMizZa

DaMizZa Active Member

It's been hovering around -30 to -35 the past few weeks here, and oddly enough I've never had problems starting it in the cold until this year. It's got nothing to do with the battery, I know that much for sure. My wife went to start it one day after shopping for maybe a half hour, and nothing... Everything still worked fine though. I get there to pick her up, and out of frustration I try using the car starter to start it. Sure enough, it starts with no problems at all! I don't know if this is a problem with the car, or with the car starter, but this has happened a few times since. I think I will spring for an interior heater though, nothing is worse than freezing while scraping the windows, only to get in the car and freeze some more because it's so cold, even though it's been running for 15+ minutes.

I just learned this a few months ago, but apparently wind chill doesn't affect inanimate objects, and should be rated as heat dissipation/sq metre or something like that, not as a temperature.
    [​IMG]

:lol:

11. T-rev

T-rev Member

Finally another person from saskatchewan on here, where abouts in sask are you? Are you fed up with this damn cold weather yet, my car has started every morning so far, but like you said an interior heater would be nice!

12. DaMizZa

DaMizZa Active Member

I'm in Regina and I can't wait till I can start parking my poor car in the garage ... This cold is unreal lol

13. T-rev

T-rev Member

I'm from Moose Jaw and i wish i had a garage to park my car in. They say its supposed to warm up next week....but they are usually never right anyways.

14. DaMizZa

DaMizZa Active Member

Where did you buy your Lancer from? I'm guessing Dilawri Mitsubishi?

15. LuvMyLancer

LuvMyLancer Well-Known Member

Was -25 the other morning and my car did seem like it struggled a bit to start for a split second but so far so good this winter lol

16. T-rev

T-rev Member

Ya i bought it from Dilawri, Im currently working in Regina, commuting everyday from the Jaw and hope to buy a house in Regina in the spring/summer.

17. DaMizZa

DaMizZa Active Member

Good time to buy, things finally cooled down. How do find their service dept? I've never really dealt much with them other than the standard stuff, but I'm taking it in right away with a list of issues that have popped up recently, hoping they are as good as they make you think they are.

It's funny, but the only time (other than the no start issue that popped up this month) my car showed any trouble with starting was in the summer... It would turn over for quite a while before firing up, which I thought was weird since it was summer, but decided it wasn't really a big deal since it's only happened a handful of times.

18. T-rev

T-rev Member

There service department seems alright, although ive only been there twice. They installed some winter tires on my car a couple of weeks ago, the stock tires for the GTS are terrible in the snow. Ya they seem like they know what they're doing. I've got to go in there soon, i want to get the scuff plates for the doors and need them to make it so when i unlock the door using the sensor on the drivers side door handle that all the doors unlock and not just the drivers side door.

As for the car not turning over, mine has not had any problems , but i've only had it for around 5 months.

19. Warlox

Warlox New Member

I had a 08 GTS last winter and here in Alberta it hit -42 C for about a week. I had no problem starting it. The MIVEC tunes the valves for cold starting I think (or something like that). I have a new 09 Ralliart now and it comes stock with synthetic (like the evo x does) so that should be even easier to start, but I notice that when i've started it this winter at near -30 C it sounds REALLY upset about being woken up.

On a side note, the stock dunlops with the GTS or Ralliart are made of a more dense rubber that at temps below -25 or so become super hard. It's like trying to drive on teflon coated tires.....I couldnt get the car to climb the slope of the road from where it was parked. Winter tyres are a must.

Wow....this is funny.....as I was writing this post, my wife came in from trying to start the ralliart this morning and it had stalled after she started it (-32 C at the moment) and she couldnt get it started again. I went out and started it but gave it a little gas to get it up over 2000 RPM and it started fine. I also noticed that when it started, it made it's funny "I'm not happy" noises .... a very chunk sounding rumbling as if it's only firing one cylinder every second .... but after revving it a little it seemed to break past that and sounded normal. I wonder if the turbo or intercooler play havoc with the cold weather starts....but they should be irrelevant at start time no?

20. jacob1bc

jacob1bc Well-Known Member

Warlox
    i don't think the intercooler or the turbo play a roll in starting.

i have had some troubles every now and then starting my car. i don't know if it cold /hot or the slope of the drive way. sometimes it want start, so i turn the key to off and pause for a second and try again and it turns right over. it might be a malfunction from the factory.