Billy's 03 OZ Progress Thread

Discussion in 'Members Progress Reports' started by BillyOZ, Sep 14, 2012.

1. BillyOZ

BillyOZ Member

So here's my 2003 Lancer OZ Rally, I've done a little modding to it thus far and I have many other plans for the future.

There are some things I have done to it that I don't have pictures of (i.e. I took the badges off, seat covers, etc.), but here you go :)

Stock status, this is what it looked like when I bought it.

[​IMG]

Got the windows tinted

[​IMG]

Buffed out the headlights

[​IMG]

New Paint

[​IMG]

Painted the wheels

[​IMG]

Plasti-dipped the grill

[​IMG]

Then there's the rotors I have yet to put on

[​IMG]

K&N 69 Series Typhoon Intake

[​IMG]

13.5" JL Audio sub

[​IMG]

There's much more on the way to, I plan to get new wheels, headlights, tail lights, drop it, exhaust, and a few other things. I'm open to suggestions to :)

2. 1slowlance

1slowlance Well-Known Member

I've got the same intake. I snapped the bolt on the block for the bracket though. Lol. The yellow really pops in some of your pictures.

3. BillyOZ

BillyOZ Member

Most of them are edited, but there's new paint all around so it is brighter.

Question: What size wheels would you guys suggest? I was thinking either 16x7 or 17x7.5

4. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

Coming from a guy that has had 16s, 17s, and 18s...I would say 16s...but it all depends on on what you like. If you sun 16s, you keep good driveability and use close to the same tire size as OEM. Just remember that the bigger the wheel you want, the thinner the tire you will need to avoid rubbing issues....and the thinner the tire, the worse the ride is going to be. I had to run a 225/30/18 tire to keep from rubbing where the rear bumper bolted to the quarter. Looked good, but if I ran over a skittle on the highway...I could guess the color. I went back down to a 16x8 with a 45 series tire. Good ride and still filled the wheelgaps with a set of springs.

For me, I would go nothing bigger than a 17". But with everything in the car world...it is all in what you like.

5. 1slowlance

I had 18s, 215/45. Ride was terrible. Looked terrible. Lol. I'd say 17s at the most, but I'd go with 16s.

6. BillyOZ

BillyOZ Member

Thanks for the input guys. I like the look of low profile tires, but I feel like 17s would look too big and not look right.

Also, I plan to lower the car with a set of springs and hopefully not have to change the struts and shocks. I don't know if changing those is necessary though. The car has 125k on it and I doubt they've been changed more than once if at all.

7. BillyOZ

BillyOZ Member

Just did the tail lights. Actually got the idea from someone on here. Credit goes to SiKkSIXx :)

[​IMG]

8. lancer2quick

See...I've seen this done for years now.....but I have never been able to decide if I like it or not. I'll say I don't like it, but then my brain says "wait a minute"....and then back to the usual blank stare and perverted thoughts

9. BillyOZ

BillyOZ Member

It definitely looks better than the ugly chrome that was there before. I plan to get all new tail lights in the future.

10. 1slowlance

I'm with you Jamie. It is definitely different, and I'm like wow that looks pretty good, then I'm like well, meh. I'll say that it is definitely not common.

11. BillyOZ

BillyOZ Member

Quick question, has anyone on here gotten performance rotors for a 2003 lancer OZ? If so what did you get and where did you get them? I've had some trouble finding some that fit my car right.

I bought these:
    http://www.jcwhitney.com/powerstop-...d-kit/p3038699.jcwx?filterid=d1631y2003g443j1

The holes and everything were lined up right, but the rotor wouldn't fit over the wheel hub. It was almost a half an inch smaller than the stock rotor on the inside.

12. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

I bought mine of ebay. They were slotted rotors. They fit pretty good.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

13. BillyOZ

BillyOZ Member

Do you know what brand they were?

14. lancer2quick

Like Jogen, I got mine from the eBay. Cross drilled and slotted with ceramic pads for all four corners for right around 200 bucks. Brand is R1. I had no fitment issues at all. Bought mine about three years ago and hav yet to have any issues out of them. rotors are still fine and I have changed pads once.

15. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

Also, instead of buying the bundle. I just bought the rotors and bought posi quiet ceramic pads. Ive had the pads on for almost 2 years now and still have half of them left.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

16. BillyOZ

BillyOZ Member

Thanks for the help guys, I will be purchasing some of these soon lol

17. BillyOZ

BillyOZ Member

So as it turns out, I don't have a stock brake set up. For whatever reason the spindle or something has been changed and the specs for the rotor, caliper, brake pads, etc. are all the same except for the inside diameter of the rotor. Mine is 6.25" when it should be around 5.75". I'll be taking it into a Mitsubishi dealership to look at a service report and to find out whats going on and if I can either change it back or find a rotor that fits properly.