Audio

Discussion in 'Audio, Security and Electronics' started by SIUCsaluki11, Sep 14, 2009.

1. SIUCsaluki11

SIUCsaluki11 Member

Well, im not much into performance. Im a big fan of audio. My last car, blazer, hit a 141.x on music with the setup i had. Probably couldda done better with more time testing and tuning, an extra battery or two and a HO Alt. Now i got my lancer, 2010 DE with a CVT. I was wondering if there were any of you on here who had a system in ur lancer and if you had pics you could post or links to a build log. Im currently thinking of either 8s or 10s. (more impressive to get loud off smaller drivers in my opinion)

Also, my problem is my rear seat doesnt fold down. Ive looked at the maintenance manual that i was able to download from the forum, and for the most part it appears that switching the rear seats from th bench to the folding rear seat woldnt be all that difficult. Has anyone tried it?

2. Mpitera

Mpitera Well-Known Member

I have 1 10'' JL Audio sub in there thats runnign off a Hi-low Converter :-/...Had a nice system in my 89 Camaro tho. I dont have any trouble folding down the Back Bench in my 08 GTS...not sure if they changed anything with the whole back seat but it shouldn't be hard. The system now is nothing special but it gets the job done. All i know is there is nothing vibrating in my car...thats one thing I HATE...If i hear anything i fix it right away...lol

3. LancerRA09

LancerRA09 Well-Known Member

He has the DE, their seats dont fold down. Unless he has a button by each headrest, then it should fold down.

4. Mpitera

Mpitera Well-Known Member

Oh ok, wasn't sure if the folding back bench was a "feature" that only the other models had or could have been added on.

5. prcdslnc13

prcdslnc13 Well-Known Member

Im running a single RE 12 SE off a US amps merlin series, MD-1D. It really sounds good for a single 12 and of all the systems ive had over the years this is one of the ones Im the happiest with. Even with the seats up.

6. SIUCsaluki11

SIUCsaluki11 Member

Wait, theres a folding bench rear? Ill have to see if i cant find one of those. Im guessing itd be easier to swap one of those in than swapping a split rear seat in. But a split rear would be nice, kinda wanna cut into the rear deck and have the subs where the rear deck would be and port firing through the armrest. Dam i miss having an SUV, it was easy to do a system, subs up port back, end of story.

Ya, im pretty sure there is no button and it doesnt fold, but ill look for a lil buttong by each headrest tomorrow.

How much of a difference does it make with the seats up? Is your box ported or sealed, if ported how are the driver and port oriented? (sp? right word even?)

7. prcdslnc13

doesnt make much of a difference with the seats up or down. Our rear deck is just a sheet of plastic and may as well not even be there when it comes to soundproofing. you want your sub facing the rear of the trunk and preferably have the port on the same face as the sub. My box is ported and Ive had a number of different configurations in the car and my current box has the best mix of sound quality and BOOM. We put sub firing towards the rear of the car and fired the port into the side, this was because of how deep my port vs how deep the box was.

Where are you located? I see your sn is SIU. If your willing to drive some the shop I work with is in central IL Ill let you know where it is.

8. SIUCsaluki11

SIUCsaluki11 Member

No, ive been doing it for a lil while now. I live in northern IL, but everything im on is SIU cuz i went there for a short bit. I did a lil work for a shop up my way, went to Acoustic Edge, got my certification, have been working on my cars and my friends cars for years. Personally id never pay anyone to install stuff for me. If i end up doing something with the rear seat ill probably run subs and port forward sealed off from the trunk (everyone ive talked to said it sounded the best and got the loudest that way, but untill then, if i even go that route, ill keep it to sub back port back/side. Which alignment did best on the TL and what sounded best to your ear? Im lookin at some 8s on some decent power, and if that doesnt do it for me, ill go to 12s and more power, lol. But my goal is 140s on music with 8s in the trunk. Might be a loft goal but its my goal. I dont imagine it would be too difficult, smaller volume to pressurize than the blazer was, a bit less cone area ( an 8 is like .02m^2 and a 12 is like .047) and id be running 3-4 8s off of 2-2.5k daily compared to 2 12s off about 1k daily. So i imagine it wouldnt be that hard. Plus ive heard the DD1508s are nasty lil 8s, which is what i wanna go with.

9. prcdslnc13

What do you mean "sealed off from the trunk". Really the best way for good sound quality and good bass is to face them towards the rear of the car. The bass waves need the time and the reflection to extend correctly. Your blazer will be immensely easier to make loud because of the fact that its open air. I had 2 RE 8s in mine just playing around and it didnt sound to bad but it wasnt 140s. Keep us up to date with what you do

10. SIUCsaluki11

SIUCsaluki11 Member

You know how walls work right? They make it so that the system is only pressurizing what is in front of it, it is sealed off from everything behind it. The theory is smaller volume, more dBs. When you seal off the enclosure from the trunk and fire the subs and port into the cabin, you eliminate trunk rattle and wasted energy. The subs will still get plenty low. They just might peak a bit higher/lower depending on how you wire them, both in phase or both 180 degrees out of phase. (if you know how sinewaves work youll understand what i mean) Im searching for pics of sealed off trunks.

11. prcdslnc13

yup Ive built them, Im just not sure how your going to effectively accomplish it with the seats that dont fold down. BUILD IT I WANNA SEE PICS!!! theses like two lancers on here with decent stereos.

12. SIUCsaluki11

SIUCsaluki11 Member

If i did the sealed from the trunk idea id be making the rear seat fold, i know some good welders and i have some ideas in my head, but for the time being, ill just leave the seat alone. Ive been reading up on some people posting up big numbers with the 8s off not alot of power for those kinds of numbers. So i think my goal of 140s on music out of a trunk might not be that difficult with the subs ive chosen, even though their only 8s.

EDIT: I will post pics, but chances are the earliest this build will start. 1/0 is not cheap, neither are good batteries. My local DD Dealer wants 200 each plus tax for the 1508s, the amp im lookin at (AQ2200D) is about 400, need a solid 4ch as ill be running the front set of components active, DD Components (havent checked price yet, guessing 150 though), and a new HU. I got my 21st bday in nov, xmass not far after, so the way im lookin at it i should be able to get this build going in January. No i will not be running rear speakers, in my blazer i ran it so the rear speakers were barely noticeable and liked the sound much better.