Anybody experienced with colored Halogen headlight bulbs?

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Customization' started by WhiteAfrikan, Nov 8, 2010.

1. WhiteAfrikan

WhiteAfrikan Active Member

After a couple solid night drives I've been left really wanting more from my headlights. Right now the OEM bulbs just aren't doing it for me. I don't have the money or interest at HID Kits so ive been browsing around looking at the colored halogen bulbs. The brand that has attracted most of my attention are the Putco Pure bulbs. My only concern with these bulbs is I do not know what the different "sizes"(9005,9006) i assume are and which is right for my 2010 Lancer GTS. I appreciate any tips or advice, Thanks guys.:)

These are what im referring to http://race-mart.3dcartstores.com/Putco-PUT-239006XNB.html#

2. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

3. mitsuG

mitsuG Well-Known Member

i had colored bulbs before i had HID's and they didnt make much of a difference compared to oem bulbs. if im not mistaken i think "colored" bulbs just are tinted with a color but doesnt necessarily make the bulbs brighter, unless they have a higher wattage but im not to sure. if you want better visibility hid's are the way to go

4. 1slowlance

1slowlance Well-Known Member

^ This. "Colored" bulbs don't make any difference. They are most of the time the same wattage, and if you're looking for the "HID look" they won't help with that either. If it's brightness you're looking for, I'd look into getting projector housings or HID's. Projectors help out a lot, and make halogens really bright by focusing the beam in a specific area.

5. Jogenmaru

If you stay in the states they do have brighter halogen bulbs but the life is crap. Maybe a year. You can get them from advance auto parts or autozone. I have some in right now until my HID's come in today.

here is the link to where I bought my HID's. Pretty cheap.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W

If you have a newer lancer (2008+), then your also going to need this.

http://lancertuners.com/fuerza/showthread.php?t=6843&page=1

and a set of hid type headlights.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  6. mitsuG

mitsuG Well-Known Member

if you buy aftermarket projectors, that might not solve the problem neither. usually they restrict the beam of light a bit. i had some projectors with and without hid's and visibility was horrible and i talked to ppl that had experienced same problem. so i switched back to oem headlights and the hid's where much brighter. unless your vehicle already has projectors in the oem headlight than i wouldnt buy aftermarket projectors

7. WhiteAfrikan

WhiteAfrikan Active Member

8. Jogenmaru

Yes. Because if for 2008+ models come with day time running lights. Your head lights will flicker for improper voltage. The hid's are less wattage than standard halogen. You will then install his kit and your drl's are disabled and hids work as your regular lights would.

9. Sinestra

Sinestra Well-Known Member

if you are looking for better visibility make sure you stick with 5500 or 6000K they will insure the best viability and distance. anything above and you wont be able to see everywhere the more blue there is in the bulb the less distance the light travels. Also, remember to adjust your headlights after installing them so you dont blind people on the road you are going to have to work with the cut off since when HID hit the reflector in your housing the light scatters instead of being focused

You can also look DDM tuning for HID kits or contact Automoglow he is a vendor here on the site.

10. heifeif

heifeif Active Member

[​IMG]

Piaa intense white!;)