And so the build begins....

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by Belgaram, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Belgaram

Belgaram Well-Known Member

I'm not gonna lie.. I am nervous as HELL about this build. I believe I am a bit of a pioneer with this in that, I have seen a lot of posts on forums about NA builds in Europe and Puerto Rico, but not much in the US. I am going with a full engine build. Brian Crower stage 2 Cams, lifters, followers, valve springs, retainers, crank pulley, new ecu (with custom map), Tranny cooler, header back and whatever else that I cant think of atm plus what I have done already with the headers, axle back, intake and tein springs. Oh! and custom painted wheels (because we know wheels go faster in black haha) This is on an 09 CVT GTS.

I've seen alot of posts on guys doing work to the 2.0 08 GTS's but really nothing on the 2.4 and I think it's because of the obvious, my warranty is FUCKED after this. Which is why I am even more nervous about it! My tuner guy is more excited about this build than I am, because he knows that if this goes well, it will be huge for their business (could go horribly bad too). Don't get me wrong, if this goes as well as planned, I will have a 1 of a kind GTS that is quick as hell and fun to drive. And will be a real shocker at car shows. So, I guess time will tell. I will post pics, dyno results, and updates as things progress. It all started on these forums :) When I'm famous, I'll make sure to give LT a shout out B)

2. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

Lol. Do it! Im looking forward to the build. Let's see what we can do to get you some LT decals over there.

sent from my droid2 using tapatalk

3. Belgaram

Yeah Jog!! I will Deffinately advertise LT... You guys have been putting up with my stupid ass questions for awhile now! But when this is said and done, I better get nominated for ROTM haha

4. 1slowlance

1slowlance Well-Known Member

Sweet, man. I'm excited to see the process and end result of it all. Good luck, and remember to keep us updated! Lol.

5. Redline1

Redline1 Well-Known Member

um.... just a thought wanna do a 5 -speed swap. that tranni wont take that much abuse. i was the first guy to blow one in the us. kinda of a risky move, i would love to see the build up but i think the weak spot in it is gonna be the trani

6. Jogenmaru

That true. The tranny is garbage for cvt's. But he is also going the na route and wont be beating on it with too much torque. I still do agree upgrade the tranny to a 5 speed but then he wont be able to say he is the fastest N/A cvt lancer around.

7. jRox

jRox Well-Known Member

Def give you props for pushing limits with an NA build--especially with the CVT. Better have a set of gauges to monitor everything. Being a pioneer takes great responsibility.

Good luck!

8. Jogenmaru

Agreed. If anything you are going to need a O2 wideband to monitor everything. Do not forget to purchase ecuflash or evoscan and a tactrix 2.0 cable. Those are the best ways to log and tune a lancer/ralliart/evo these days.

9. Belgaram

Ya Jog, actually he ordered the cable today and I believe he is using an Evo X ECU or an inline something or other because it has more parameters. I am very concerned about the tranny (which is one of the reasons I am going with the tranny cooler) When I drive around normally in "D" mode, I am pretty conservative. If I beat on it, I am usually in manual mode. So That SHOULD be easier on the tranny. I know we looked at swapping out some of the tranny internals, but not sure how thats gonna go. From everything I've read, the CVT can handle up to 280 HP but no one seems to know if thats WHP or crank. But trans is definitely my biggest concern of this build. I'll ask him about the O2 wideband as well. One of the things going in my favor is he is an Evo tuner. He has tuned probably 100 Evo's over the years. BUT My trans isn't an Evo trans, so hopefully it can take the HP increase. I appreciate the positive feed back. I am probably as nervous about this as I am excited, and I have talked in long depth with this guys about this build. He calls me every day and asks if he can order something or what my idea on something is (one of the reasons I come to the forums... People are not afraid to tell you how they feel and I like the brutal honesty... Keeps ya balanced)

He hasn't picked my car up yet since he wants to get all the parts in first. So I'm not stuck without my car unnecessarily. But soon as the build starts, I'll have him send me pics so I can post them. He thinks it will take 2-3 full days to do everything. And he's hookin me up on labor charges BIG time.

JRox, where in NJ are you? are you aware of http://mystreetwar.com/register.html ? I'll be there hopefully with my car done. Thats the goal at least. I am hoping to take the Mitsu best of show :)

10. Sinestra

Sinestra Well-Known Member

Im fucking excited to see this build man. As much as i love Evo's i really want to see how far a Lancer can be pushed and be stable. Good luck and i will be watching most def for the progress.

11. Belgaram

Thanks Sine!! I just pray when it is all said and done my next post isn't:

Tranny shit the bed and it's gonna cost 2 grand to rebuild....

:D o_O

12. Belgaram

On another note... If my wife would have let me get the Evo that I wanted, we wouldn't be having this conversation haha... So it's her fault if anything bad happens!!!!

13. Sinestra

Sinestra Well-Known Member

LMAO i dont know if that excuse is going to fly with the wifey but you could always try. Lets just hope it doesnt come to that i have high hopes from the project bro. keep us tuned in.

14. Belgaram

Update... Most parts are ordered and on the way. He wants to do a full synthetic fluids change also, and is changing out the plugs to irodium 4 prong plugs gapped tighter for timing advancement. And he said he isn't using the Evo X map because of the cam lope. Won't idle at all, so he's going to have to rewrite the map. (This is almost all greek to me btw....) But I do believe that means bye bye 120 mph limit.... Not that I have gone that fast, but theoretically speaking of course...

15. Jogenmaru

Well I figured that he wouldnt be able to. He would have to basically remove the turbo settings which I figure it would be easier to work with the rom you already have and go from there. I thought all the newer lancers already used fully synthectic oil already? And if he is using ecu flash he should be able to set a max speed limit anyway. I know I can set what my car idles at on startup right now. I havent gone into great detail with the program for me. But there are hella lot of options he can change with that program.

16. eziel

eziel Member

yeah going over 120 is fun hypothetically speaking of course

17. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

Good Luck with the build...u should create a blog for this particular build...

18. Belgaram

Good advice Bras and thank you. I will start one.

19. Belgaram

Little update. Thought it was going into the shop this week, but they sent the wrong lifters or followers or whatever he said haha but the sent Evo 8 parts, so he sent them back. Soon as they arrive, the build begins. Takin forever sheesh.. I'm getting antsy! I am going to do some more cosmetic work. I think I am going to get the Carbon Fiber wrap stuff to do the bumper and some interior stuff. I am ordering the eyelids. Tint I just have to get a day off to where I can drop my car off. I gotta see if I can drop it off the night before. They keep scheduling me on days that I am working and can't get there. I'm picking up a 3.5mm to RCA cord today for Ipod and phone (which btw, pandora app is awesome in the car) I wanna get a LancerTuners sticker too.. Who I need to see about that? Jog? :)

20. Belgaram

Well BALLS!!! Been waiting on all the parts to get here and other than 1 of the companies sending a part for an Evo VIII, the only thing I was waiting on was the Crank Pulley from RPW... But they just got an email from them saying that crank pulleys are on back order for 2 months!! I gotta be done for that car show in April... ::sigh:: I'm either going to have to go for the RRM pulley or find another company that makes them