Ancalagon's LED Project *Interior and Engine Bay Complete*

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Customization' started by Ancalagon, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Ancalagon

Ancalagon Active Member

Hey guys, I have been thinking about setting up an interior LED system for a while and I just ordered the LEDs from Oznium. I intend to have LEDs in both footwells,in the cupholders and change dish in the center console, under my front seats, and behind/on top of the back seats, and lighting up the trunk. Has anyone else done anything similar to this?

I have already wired up two switches (one for the footwells and center console; one for the back seat and under the front seats) so that I will be able to turn the LEDs off or on whenever which I figured was probably a good idea especially since the LEDs behind the back seats might cause glare.

Also, I am installing some LEDs in the engine bay and wiring them up to a switch, but that's a completely separate project.

So hopefully I will begin installing the LEDs themselves next week and as long as it works out as I intend I will put up a bunch of pictures, and maybe even a How-To if it comes out really nicely.

But any advice or comments from anybody who has done it before? Or just comments on the idea in general? Anything would be appreciated, thanks.

2. mpirklbauer

mpirklbauer Well-Known Member

Re: Interior LED Project

What color did you choose?
    I´ll connected the footwells with the door switch to have an entry light, the same I´ll do at the trunk.

For the color, I think red like the rest of the stock lighting, but if you change all others too purple is a nice color I think.
    Blue is nice to, but everyone does it with blue lights

3. Ancalagon

Ancalagon Active Member

I got red, I already replaced the reading lights with Red LEDs a while ago so I want it all to match. And I think it goes well with the dark interior option.

4. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

Sounds like a plan. What I did was splice into the wiring that goes to the overhead dome light...that way when i lock, unlock, or have the doors open...they come on. I tried doing the switch thing first, but I rarely turned them on. Plus, if I had them on while driving, they were bright and distracting. Post some pics when you get all of it buttoned up...

5. Ancalagon

Ancalagon Active Member

Will do, and I like the idea of the automatic lights, but I think having the separate switches for front and back should fix the problem of being too distracting while driving. Plus I don't have a dome light since I have a sunroof so I am not sure how I would wire it anyway.

6. LTDan

LTDan Well-Known Member

how did you go about doing this? that's exactly what I wanna do with my car!

7. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

I don't know if the wiring is the same for the 08 as it is for the 04, but I pulled off the a-pillars ,and spliced into the dome supply (I think they were yellow w/ silver dots). The thing that confused me at first was the fact that there is no ground wire for these, they ground to the chassis through the bolt holes for the light assembly itself.

8. nickbutterz

nickbutterz Well-Known Member

This should be easy. LEDs on the bottom back seat dont cause a glare i have them. I think two switches just to light up your interior is a little much in unnecessary just use one switch especially if u think your going to have more projects and need more places to put switches. And for the trunk its pretty easy. All i did was take out the bulb that was in there and i figure out which was was positive and negative and then just taped them to the metal contacts so my trunk blue LEDs just automatically go on when you open the trunk.

to lancer2quick: where did u go into this wiring because im going to try and do this for another little project where i want lights to go on when the doors open

9. Ancalagon

Ancalagon Active Member

Sweet about the trunk, I was hoping it would work that way. And for the switches I am going to be mounting them under the driver side dash so they won't be taking up the switch spots to the left of the steering wheel and they will be out of sight.

10. nickbutterz

okay.. then your good

11. Ancalagon

Ancalagon Active Member

LEDS just got in. Going to be wiring them up tomorrow evening probably, for some reason I always seem to end up working on my car at night...

12. nickbutterz

ahah cant wait to see it. lol but for me it seems that everythime i work on my car. no matter when i start. it gets dark before im done. llo

13. Ancalagon

Ancalagon Active Member

Bah, we have rain around here until Thursday morning, so going to be delayed a little bit.

14. nickbutterz

damm rain ruins everything

15. Ancalagon

Ancalagon Active Member

Got all of the wiring done, just need to mount the LEDs where they will look best now. Also I apparently grounded the LEDs under my seats incorrectly because the wires are getting pretty hot when I switch them on, I will look into that and mount the lights tomorrow and pictures will follow. Then probably going to do the engine on Thursday.

16. Ancalagon

Ancalagon Active Member

Got the Interior finished now.

Side view:
    [​IMG]

Under the front seats:
    [​IMG]

Side view with water bottles in cup holder:
    [​IMG]

Back seat:
    [​IMG]

17. odawg45

odawg45 Member

Re: Interior LED Project *Updated with Interior Pics*

that looks really good nice job i think i will be attempting this when i get the money. lol :D

18. MonChi

MonChi Well-Known Member

looks like it came out great i like it.

19. Ancalagon

Ancalagon Active Member

Thanks, guys. Going to try to get the engine done and put some pictures up tomorrow, too tired today though, I stayed up all night writing papers. Curse you week before Finals!!!

20. nickbutterz

wow looks amazing, can you take some pictures of the cup holders so i can how you did that. Looks really good