A Hybrid Evo Is Better Than No Evo...

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi News & Info' started by lancer2quick, May 24, 2011.

1. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

With the launch of the Outlander Sport compact crossover as well as the electric i-MiEV, it seems Mitsubishi Motors is intent on adopting a green image. Word from Japan is that the company is slowly scrapping its sporty-car program in favor of more economical products.

The company’s in-house tuner, Ralliart, has been all but shut down, while plans for the next-generation Lancer Evolution have allegedly been put on hold. However, an inside source tells us that death reports of the next-generation Evo are premature. He informed us that there are still a few people within Mitsubishi who don’t want to see the company’s image car go away, and that development is underway on a plug-in hybrid version of the high-performance sports sedan.

The next-generation Mitsubishi Lancer Evo could use a plug-in hybrid system that is being shown at the Tokyo motor show, sources have told Autocar.

The plug-in technology is being showcased on the Mitsubishi PX-MiEV concept, and if applied to the Evo XI would dramatically alter its make-up.

With the PX-MiEV, front and rear wheels are powered by two 81bhp permanent magnet synchronous motors. There’s also a 1.6-litre MIVEC petrol engine which not only drives the front wheels but also serves as a generator.

However, the system is configured around Mitsubishi’s Evo-style S-AWC handling control system, and automatically switches between different drive modes depending on driving style and remaining power in the lithium ion battery pack.

It’s a highly sophisticated switchable system that borrows i-MiEV electric car tech for the back wheels but uses a new parallel-type hybrid system for the fronts. It also delivers over 140mpg economy, Mitsubishi says.

Mitsubishi hopes to have it on the market by 2013, but company insiders say the technology could be directed at the new Evo.

“This way, it will conform to the company’s overall strategic plan of building fuel-efficient cars,” he says. “Yet it will have all the performance that the current Lancer Evo possesses.”

Although nothing is set in stone, it seems that at this point if there is to be another Evo, it will probably have some sort of hybrid option, which is an infinitely better scenario than having no Evo at all. And from what we’ve been told, the new car won’t be a slouch at the test track, either.

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  2. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

That will be the shitiest evo made. You wont be able to buy any upgrades for it until another 10 years or so. That will kill off what the evo 10 didn't kill.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

3. slickdevil08

slickdevil08 Well-Known Member

^ agreed. what is wrong with car companys these days

4. Helix

Helix Wants Recaros

WTF?

5. y2ray7697

y2ray7697 Well-Known Member

Well that's just a kick in the crotch!

6. 1slowlance

1slowlance Well-Known Member

Think I'd rather no Evo.

7. Helix

Helix Wants Recaros

I'm with you on this one. Negative.

8. slickdevil08

slickdevil08 Well-Known Member

affirmative! roger that! Yeah!

9. Helix

Helix Wants Recaros

+1

10. Sinestra

Sinestra Well-Known Member

If i wanted some plug in, hippie, tree hugging, save the earth, crybaby bullshit car id get a fucking Prius. I consider the Evo gone this new hybrid cock muncher BS is not an Evo. Id rather get Evo X SE and keep it for life or im jumping to Subie or getting the FT and turboing the shit out of it.

11. BlueDevilLancer

BlueDevilLancer Well-Known Member

^ in total agreement. Shaun you pretty much summed up everything i was going to say. Also, it looks like a terrible mix between the new sti and the current evo. fuck hybrids.

12. 1slowlance

I'd get a Fiesta. I actually really like em.

13. Helix

Helix Wants Recaros

Me too.

[​IMG]

14. Sinestra

Sinestra Well-Known Member

Id get one too but id want the Euro version which is AWD fuckers wont bring it to the US because they say it will drive up the price and there is not a large enough market for an AWD Fiesta. I want to meet the people who do this demographic BS because is swear they just make shit up.

15. Jogenmaru

I saw a video of one a while back. Its awd and turbo. Think it make 276whp. I have to look it up just to make sure.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

16. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

Its the Focus RS...Its the only late-model Ford that I would drive (besides a 350 diesel truck).

[​IMG]

17. Jogenmaru

compare the two. the focus rs and evo XI. is it just me or are there a lot of similarities?

18. 1slowlance

Go figure, YOU'D drive a truck. No way. Lol.

19. Helix

Helix Wants Recaros

I want it...

20. BlueDevilLancer

BlueDevilLancer Well-Known Member

i'd buy it. i think the demographics they're talking about are families and old people who are afraid to drive. ford get back in the game and cater to the rising market.