2009 Lancer GTS Carputer

Discussion in 'Audio, Security and Electronics' started by lancer0220, Jan 15, 2009.

1. lancer0220

lancer0220 Well-Known Member

I have posted this on 2 other forums with good responses from one forum and a few responses on the other. I thought id share it here also to see what people thought.

So with all the struggles to try to get a OEM navigation system, the fact that ipod screen integration does not exist and that mitsubishi does not sell the lancer with sunroof without sound package I have decided to make do with what I got.

Obviously the whole system could be ripped out and replaced, $ is not an option I could have this done but id rather use what I got for now.

The AUX input on the RF system isnt great but its not terrible, the noise that you hear is easily drowned out when the volume is up to 25+, with all this in mind I decided to integrate the following

7" touchscreen LCD
    UMPC Running Vista (unfortunately it has vista but the computer is free to me) HTC SHIFT
    USB HUB( + navigation , ipod, etc (anything USB))
    DVD drive (coming soon).

So what I did before I purchased all these items was rip apart the stock headunit faceplate to investigate exactly how it works.

[​IMG]

Basically the buttons you push on the faceplate are pushing actual push buttons on the circuit board.
    [​IMG]

So I decided to solder 2 push buttons. One to the CD button (so t hat I can enter AUX mode) and another to the power button (incase the radio ever powers off and needs to be powered on)

[​IMG]

I reconnected the circuit board to the radio and tested it and everything works 100%.

Next step, mount the touch screen
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had to adjust the mounting of it so that it sat flush with the scosche dash kit.

The next step, make sure vista communicates properly with the touchscreen
    [​IMG]

I am using Roadrunner (free) as my interface with winamp 2.95 (OLD SKOOL but works well with vista (took about 4 days to figure out why roadrunner and the below skin wouldnt play songs properly on Vista

[​IMG]

I then did some slight modification to the cars plastic where the screen sits (where the stock radio bolts down (the bottom 2 screws)) to fit the circuit board in there from the face plate.
    you can see the stock radio in these photos, notice the white RCA plug ? well its sitting ontop of the stock radio.
    [​IMG]

The stock radio is still installed but is hidden below in front of the AC controls.

I mounted the screen after 3 hours of fitting tests
    [​IMG]
    (sorry for poor quality)

I then put everything back and run all the wires to the glovebox, I also took out the whole AUX setup and put a USB hub there, the OEM AUX setup is now in the glove box (it just pops out from where it was installed)

[​IMG]

And I now have everything at my fingertips , heres an example

[​IMG]

The only thing I have left to do is to properly set all my settings (bass, trebele...etc) and this is hard to do since the wires that connect my screen to the board broke off, luckily I have the sequence written down so I can access everything and when you set things to default or to "0" the stock radio makes a beep.

Any feedback is much appreciated. Right now I only have video and Music working
    navigation and more to come in the later months.

In case anyone is wondering the total costs are as follows :

Computer : FREE but a 299 acer aspire one would be perfect (im getting one soon)
    Scosche dash kit : 35
    LCD Touch : 175
    LCD Touch Double Din Kit : 35
    MISC wires etc : 30
    USB Hub : Free (had it, cost about 5.00 from EBAY)

Not bad for <300 bucks

I have since switched from roadrunner to centrafuse interface much better! and i still have the Mitsubishi motors logo!

2. LTDan

LTDan Well-Known Member

I am soo confused but it looks great and +1 for risking your navigation unit to rig an aftermarket homebuilt touchscreen!
    I kept up with most of everything but you lost me when you started soldering buttons and don't know where they went after that.

3. lancer0220

I didnt use my navigation unit I used a regular touchscreen and modded it to fit the car. I originally had the RF system non navigation.

4. olvhec

olvhec Well-Known Member

So do you have the buttons on the steering wheel? If so do they still work. BTW what is your do you do for a living if I can ask. Are you some kind of engineer?

5. lancer0220

Yes the buttons on the steering wheel still allow me change the volume and switch modes between satellite, FM and cd (although i cant put a cd into it since its hidden). The 2 extra push buttons I soldered are to replace 2 buttons on the stock radio the "CD" and "power (vol knob)". So that I can power the radio on or off If i wish and so that i can put the radio into aux to hear the carputer audio.

Yes I am a EE recently graduated last august.

6. olvhec

olvhec Well-Known Member

Yeah, I thought so. Thats my major as well (even though Im taking a break :oops: ) and Ive walked in on some labs before. I can do little things but I dont like to mess with stuff to much yet becuase I don't like the risk of messing up.

I see what you did, thats pretty cool. Any pics of where you relocated your stock HU to?

7. LTDan

LTDan Well-Known Member

That's a one of a kind head unit right there! Make a simplified how to and I'll try to take a stab at it. Always wanted a touchscreen headunit/computer in my car :-D

8. lancer0220

You see the 8th picture ? the one right below the photo of the menu screen ? well if you look closely you will notice a white RCA jack sitting on something under the touchscreen. Well , its sitting on the stock headunit.

where in texas are you located ? im here in san antonio and i would be willing to help someone set this up in their car.

9. olvhec

olvhec Well-Known Member

I see the pictures you are talking about but they are kinda blurry and dark so I am not sure where the white RCA jack is. Im in the Houston area but I like driving.

10. lancer0220

yea the white rca jack is there sorry for the poor quality.

11. pbstud2001

pbstud2001 Well-Known Member

thats awesome...we gotta meet up soon

12. skullpr

skullpr Well-Known Member

hey man i really have to congrat you on taking such a chance...ive been wanting and thinking on how to do this for some time but im not all that knowledgeable when it comes to soldering PCBs...hehe already burnt one of my paintball guns, so i dont think i would like to burn my cars radio...it looks great, congrats again...

13. dynasty3695

dynasty3695 Well-Known Member

damn, thats sexy. congrats man

14. skullpr

skullpr Well-Known Member

hey lancer0220, do you think you can do a HOW TO?? if you do this ill take a shot at it... :D :D

15. mpirklbauer

mpirklbauer Well-Known Member

are all the connections you need on the original head unit?
    How did you connected the unit with the touch screen?