Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Manual vs. CVT?

Status
    Thanks

Manual vs. CVT?

I'm still looking at lancers, hopefully buying soon. I was originally going to get the CVT. The deal I was working on I guess fell through because I havn't heard from the salesman in a while. Now I'm looking again. When I test drove, starting off was pretty sluggish in the CVT. I can drive a stick, but not that well yet, so I'm afraid to test drive it.

Does first gear in a manual have any more power then starting off in the CVT?

Status
    Thanks
    ask for a test-drive. Don't be embarassed. It's an easy clutch. Believe me

Status
    Thanks

Re: Manual vs. CVT?

Quote Originally Posted by jake
    I'm still looking at lancers, hopefully buying soon. I was originally going to get the CVT. The deal I was working on I guess fell through because I havn't heard from the salesman in a while. Now I'm looking again. When I test drove, starting off was pretty sluggish in the CVT. I can drive a stick, but not that well yet, so I'm afraid to test drive it.

Yes, it does. However the CVT also has a large "Learning" period and it drives differently than the cars you are test driving. It will still not beat a manual off the line (manual has the ability to raise RPM for launch) but its not as "limp" feeling as when you drive one that hasn't adjusted yet

Status
    Thanks

Re: Manual vs. CVT?

Quote Originally Posted by eg6motion

Yes, it does. However the CVT also has a large "Learning" period and it drives differently than the cars you are test driving. It will still not beat a manual off the line (manual has the ability to raise RPM for launch) but its not as "limp" feeling as when you drive one that hasn't adjusted yet
    alright thanks. I'm not going to be racing or anything, but getting out of peoples way could be hard to do without power down there. Like the post earlier said, maybe I'll just give it a test drive and see how its different.

Status
    Thanks
    I didnt wanna mention this right-off-the-bat but me and another buddy who drives a CVT went to a dyno day and my 5speed peaked about 30 more hp than his CVT did. Not joking.

so you can use your imagination where that power-loss is coming from.

Status
    Thanks
    5 speed FTMFW...this is one of the easiest clutches on a car...it is very easy to choke the car and it will still go with not enough acceleration!!!

Status
    Thanks
    go for 5-speed Truuussttt meeee

No more slow-matic for me :wink:

Status
    Thanks
    The only thing holding me back is in traffic. Stop and go traffic would suck in a 5 speed, or stops on a hill too.

Status
    Thanks
    The only thing holding me back is in traffic. Stop and go traffic would suck in a 5 speed, or stops on a hill too.
    Traffic definetly sux for 5 speed but its not a good enough reason not to get it. I couldnt imagine driving a 4 cyl in an automatic.
    faster shifts, funner to drive

Status
    Thanks
    traffic becomes 2nd nature after a while!! only at the beginning its a pain but trust me... traffic is the BEST TRAINING you can have with manual transmission.. really controlling the clutch and all !

Status
    Thanks
    alright heres my 2cen i say if you want power go for the manual, it will bring you the "tuner car feeling" and its alot quicker then the CVT. I own the CVT and i like it but not for driving fast lol. 5 Speed will beat a CVT easily hate to say it, i have exhaust intake pulley and i bet a 5 speed could still beat me.( my friends 5speed beat me when i had intake and pulley done. it all depends on what you are looking for. cvt is great for a lazy daily driver like me. but hey if i could go back, i would have gotten the 5 speed. jus my 2cen

xD

Status
    Thanks
    I'm kinda torn, both have pro/cons. I guess its whatever I can get the best deal on. If the salesman contacts me about the CVT, then I'll probably do it(seems like a heck of a deal). I am a lazy driver...

Status
    Thanks
    i learned how to drive stick when i bought my car, ive only stalled a handful of time and accidentally half geared it and grinded my clutch acouple times.
    if anybody remembers the lancer meet at hooters where i grinded the clutch going in reverse then backed into a tree..
    yeah.. i've gotten better
    HA!

Status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LancerGTS
    alright heres my 2cen i say if you want power go for the manual, it will bring you the "tuner car feeling" and its alot quicker then the CVT. I own the CVT and i like it but not for driving fast lol. 5 Speed will beat a CVT easily hate to say it, i have exhaust intake pulley and i bet a 5 speed could still beat me.( my friends 5speed beat me when i had intake and pulley done. it all depends on what you are looking for. cvt is great for a lazy daily driver like me. but hey if i could go back, i would have gotten the 5 speed. jus my 2cen

xD
    don't forget, manual is 1k cheaper

Status
    Thanks
    yea i really wanted the manual on mine but other people in my family drive my car and i live in bronx so with all the lights and traffic and stuff it just seemed easier to get an automatic with the option of a slower manual i guess you culd say.

Status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by delphium_
    i learned how to drive stick when i bought my car, ive only stalled a handful of time and accidentally half geared it and grinded my clutch acouple times.
    if anybody remembers the lancer meet at hooters where i grinded the clutch going in reverse then backed into a tree..
    yeah.. i've gotten better
    HA!
    prove it!!!

Status
    Thanks
    yea i learned how to drive the manual when i got my car..pretty easy i must say..what was embarrasing for me was i was trying to park and i stalled..lol.. the car however did turn off so i was kind of one step ahead..lol..also manual is just more fun you dont want a 4cyl and a auto

Status
    Thanks
    ^
    not to put the ppl down who do have the cvt/auto..just my .02

Status
    Thanks
    heres an another option on a manual,if your battery is dead and can barely not even turn the motor,you can push it fast enough you can pop the clutch and start your car. :lol:

Status
    Thanks
    My .02:

The CVT is nice don't get me wrong, it's just slower than heck. If you are looking for more speed that the convinience of the CVT, then you should definatly go with stick. Driving it is nothard at all, I learned on the lancers at work and my X is the first manual car I've owned. Very easy.

Status
    Thanks
    well it looks like it will be manual. Now I just have to find the right deal lol. I was pretty close tonight, but it didn't work out. Hopefully tomorrow. I HATE CAR SALESMEN!

Status
    Thanks
    My friend had a cvt with exhaust, intake, pulleys, and the piggyback and I raced him in my bone stock DE and rolled him from a stop, 20 roll, and 40 roll. We couldnt believe how slow the cvt is compared to the manual. Couple days later he traded in his lancer and bought an evo, lol.

Status
    Thanks
    jake, come to Albuquerque, I'll take care of you!

I was the guy Westcoast raced, lol.

Status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Milagro
    jake, come to Albuquerque, I'll take care of you!

I was the guy Westcoast raced, lol.
    do you sell cars or something?

Status
    Thanks
    5M it is

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast